New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-284 or 243AI ???????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just purchased a used Remington 40X in 243 And am thinking of a rechamber to either 6-284, 0r the 243AI.I have had experiences with other AI 22-250 and 250 Savage and love both of them. Will the 6-284 give me that much more Velocity using the 55-85 grain bullets.?? The barrel is 27".
Thanx,

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it I have a Cooper 243 AI and a Hart Barreled 6/284 on a Sako action. Also a 6 Rem 40X 28" 1 in 8 twist Hart, added into the mix. Yes, the 6/284 is faster,BUT, is it worth the work... NO. The 243 AI is nice but not enough faster to warrant the fireforming and barrel wear that brings. I'll love the 6 Rem forever because it does it all the first time. Enjoy which ever spins your crank!

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the twist of that barrel? In general overbore cartridges don't add much velocity to the lighter bullets.

I think the 6mm Rem Improved would clean up that chamber as well.

The Sierra #5 has loads for some of these wild ones.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you are looking for in velocity, but using lighter bullets, I worked up a load with a 60 grain Sierra in a 243 with 50 grains of H380.

Velocity was over 4,000 fps, and in this particular Remington, was a one hole shooter. Everything else was a group of 3 to 4 inches at 100 yds. I was about ready to ditch the rifle, until I got this load.

Some people I know tried with a 6mm/06 and a 6/284 and they got no higher velocity than I did.

Everyone was telling me I was going to blow up the gun and myself with this load until Noslers last manual came out and they recommended 53 grains with their 55 grain bullet.

I personally think the max efficient cartridge in 6mm is the 6mm Rem. After that, the increase is minimal, for a dramatic increase in powder consumption, that will just lead to rapid throat erosion.

If you can get pass trying to impress a few unknowing guys, just stick with the smaller 6mm cases and good shooting.
Cheers,
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have both a .243 and a 6mm/.284. I believe the difference is worth the trouble! But I agree that if you had a 6mm Rewm., it would not need improvement!!

<9.3x62>
posted
I would go with the 6mm Rem, but it won't clean the chamber up unless you set the barrel back. Personally, I would go with a 6mm AI, as it will give you nearly 6-284 numbers but with fewer worries about feeding. That 27 barrel will do a good job ringing all the velocity out of it.

Good luck.