Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy Weight 257 bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted
: Does anyone make 25cal bullets weighing 130-140gr.? I guess I have 6.5mm envy but they're only 0.007" larger in diameter and have bullets weighing at least 160gr.

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes used to make one of their originals in 257 at 125 gr, but I don't see it mentioned in their latest manual. Maybe you can find some old stock somewhere. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, the 120 grain Nosler Partitions would easily go thru an Impala lengthwise, even when shot at short ranges. The penetration availible is more than adequate, and quality game bullets are easily available. I don't think that the 160 6.5 would be as optimal as the 140 grain range, but I'll have to find out. I am anxious to use my 6.5/284 this Fall on some Texas whitetails. The bullet of choice will be a 140 Partition. Just old fashioned I guess. Don't sweat the small stuff... it's all small stuff, except perhaps Mr. Buffalo...

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 50's there was a gunsmith named McFarland that played with a wildcat he called the 257 Conder. A belted case much like the 257Wby. His guns had a 1-7 twist and if I remember correctly he shot 150gr. bullets made by Barns. Since Barns has changed hands I don't think they make that bullet anymore. The round really never got off the ground.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need these days, you will get better penitration out of a 90 gr. monolithic Barnes or GS Custom than you would have gotten out of the old Barnes 125 gr. bullet.

A 100 gr. X bullet will punch through an elk in the Selway of Idaho and make all those Montana boys run for cover.

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote