THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    105 A-Max in a 9-1/8 rem barrel

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

105 A-Max in a 9-1/8 rem barrel
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys,
Anybody know if 105gr A-max will stabilize in a standard 9-1/8 twist 24" Remington barrel.
Any info or experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posts: 34 | Location: Yorkshire,England | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vv, The answer is YES!!! A 105AMAX will stabilize in a 9 1/8 twist barrel! I shoot 105AMAXS in a 6mmRem VLS and it does 10 shot groups in the 12"-15" range(10 shots) at 1000 yards! I use Reloader 19 and also H-1000 with the 105's! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tried some 105 A-max's in my 6mm on the 29th. I was not impressed with the groups I seen from that test. The bullets did not seem to keyhole at all though. I was using IMR 4895 out of a Remington 700 V.S. I was getting 1.5" to over 3" groups at 100 yards. To be fair to the bullets, that was the first time I fired that rifle for a group. The trigger needs some work & there could be several other factors causing this that I have not eliminated yet.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will stabilize..

hvy barrel - Yes, other factors could have come into play. And then again, IMR-4895 is not really the most optimum powder for that caliber/bullet combo. Check GHD's post. He lists a couple fo the better powders for the 6mm Rem, and then there's also H4350 and H4831sc.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby, I will try another powder before I do anything to the rifle. I had two other rifles there I was shooting consistantly at around .800-.900" so I didn't think it was me.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Posts: 34 | Location: Yorkshire,England | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hvybrl, Is that rifle a "VS" or a "VLS"?? If it's a "VS"(varmint synthetic......don't think I've ever seen one in 6mm!!!, didn't know they made them!!!) it could probably use a "skim-bedding" job on the H-S stock!! If it's a "VLS", I'm sure it can use a bedding job!!! This particular VLS (may show up on the classifieds soon) is bedded around the recoil lug, likes bullets seated 15/1000's off the lands(from 70 grain BT's to the 105 Amaxs....particular fondness for 87 grain VMAXS!!!) has a trigger set at 18oz and won't give a noticable decline in accurracy due to copper for about 50-70 rounds!!! For the 87 grain VMAXS load up some with 39.0 grains of VARGET and test them!! Not the fastest load out there but pretty ddarn deadly on a varmint!!! For the 70 grain BT's, try 50.0 grains of Reloader 19 and for the 105's try 44.5 grains of Reloader 19. Just may find one it likes!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD My 6mm is a Varmint Special made in in 1969. It has a wood stock, a 24" barrel & could still probably use a bedding job. Sorry that I was not clear. I have another 6mm Varmint Special that is almost identical. It has a different scope & was made in the early 70's. Let me know if you decide to sell your VLS.

One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Vulpes Vulpes, Hello there, Im also in yorkshire and I posted a similar question recently and got a couple of good answers, just to get it clear, what calibre is your rifle, 243 or 6mm remy? I am shooting the 105 A-max out of my 243 PSS with 9" twist on the barrel, I have ony recently started to work on the load with some RL22 but went to Henry Kranks Today for some RL19, will be loading some up this afternoon to try tomorrow night so I'll let you know. So far they have shot about an inch but with several in a hole and a flier so i want to get rid of those fliers and get a sweeet group. I have heard that A-max can be a bit uneven with respect to ogive length and someone suggested sorting them with this in mind but i dont have a suitable tool for the job.....yet! I would suspect this is what causes the fliers if it is true but i think more testing is neccesary, so far i have just been loading up to check for pressure signs so from now on i will be pushing for accuracy, ill keep you informed!

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Shot it tonight, worked up the loads to check for pressure, got up to hornady book top end load of 43.1 gr of RL19 and it was shooting 1/4 inch @100m so i would definately recommend this recipe although do start low and work up!!!!!!!!

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote