THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New Rifle......Montana Rifle Company 264 WM (Pics)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle......Montana Rifle Company 264 WM (Pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought this rifle a few weeks ago. The specs are as folllows.

MRC 1999 SS Action
MRC 26" #4 Contour Barrel
McMillan Supergrade Edge painted by Rick Bin

I received the rifle with Cerakoted bolt handle and bottom metal. I had the pieces bright polished ($40)to contrast with the bead finish on the barreled action. I really like how that turned out..It looks great in person but doesn't come out in the pics real well.

I had a feeding issue as well.Although it was believed to be a barreled action from MRC originally it was determined that the rifle had a [s]30/06[/s] 375 H&H follower and mag box.I ordered the parts from MRC for $56 and installed them and my load work up scope this morning. The rifle will eventually wear a Silver Leupold or Zeiss. I have 120gr TSX's and 120gr NBT's loaded up and ready for the range to see how she shoots.

Couple of questions........

1) What are you proven grocery getter loads and the velocity?

2) How should I scope it?

264 Follower and Mag Box on Right

Trying to show the contrast

The Rifle

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone?

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
My meat load in "Baby" (a pre-64 Mod 70 that is my go to rifle) is 125 gr Nos Partition in front of H870. (I know you can't get that anymore and I'm hoarding what I have left.) Baby shoots the old 120 Nos Solid Base most accurately but the Partition is very acceptable and the Solid Base is also out of production. A friend of mine is having good results with the 125 Nos in front of Retumbo. Baby also likes the old 140 gr Sierra BT and Hdy I-Lock. There is nothing wrong with either bullet and I've shot tons of them over the years with good terminal performance.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
My meat load in "Baby" (a pre-64 Mod 70 that is my go to rifle) is 125 gr Nos Partition in front of H870. (I know you can't get that anymore and I'm hoarding what I have left.) Baby shoots the old 120 Nos Solid Base most accurately but the Partition is very acceptable and the Solid Base is also out of production. A friend of mine is having good results with the 125 Nos in front of Retumbo. Baby also likes the old 140 gr Sierra BT and Hdy I-Lock. There is nothing wrong with either bullet and I've shot tons of them over the years with good terminal performance.

I may give the 125's and Retumbo a try.

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about media blasting those shiny parts to a matte finish? It looks like a Ruger...too shiny. Otherwise a beautiful rifle and great cartridge. I want it! Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a shiny Ruger stainless and a matte blasted MRC stainless and I much prefer the matte finish.

I also prefer the black scope on the matte instead of the silver Leupie that I have on the Ruger. If I did it all over again I would have all black scopes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Might try IMR7828 with those 125 Partitions.

Pancho: I really miss the 120gr Solid Base, too!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Have you thought about media blasting those shiny parts to a matte finish? It looks like a Ruger...too shiny. Otherwise a beautiful rifle and great cartridge. I want it! Lou

Lou,

I just had the shiny parts polished in order to contrast the matte blasted look. I really like it.

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I have a shiny Ruger stainless and a matte blasted MRC stainless and I much prefer the matte finish.

I also prefer the black scope on the matte instead of the silver Leupie that I have on the Ruger. If I did it all over again I would have all black scopes.

Fjold,

I'm partial to silver scopes opn my stainless rifles as you can see.

ETC..............

It's personal taste but to me a matte scope on a stainless rifle just doesn't fit.......Unless it has a black stock to compliment the scope.

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try Reloader 22. I've had good luck with that powder in my 264. But you may not get good results until you matte finish those shiny parts Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with IMR7828 and 140 nosler partition 65 grains. max so work up. I also like the 125 nosler partition with 70 grains of H1000, this is my favorite deer load. This is also max in my rifle.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
You might want to try Reloader 22. I've had good luck with that powder in my 264. But you may not get good results until you matte finish those shiny parts Smiler

Yep.....Those shiny parts are worth about .5" on my groups and 200fps of velocity easy.Smiler

Thanks for the onformation,

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok bruzz.. What is the manlicher ?
My guess is a Ruger 77MK2 in .257 Roberts ?
As for a scope for your .264,
I think I wouild go with a VX3 3.5X10. Mabye a 4.5X14 without the adjustable objective.
In mY opinion there is almost never a need for much over about 6 power on a big game rifle.
Its nice to have , but you don't really need it...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Ok bruzz.. What is the manlicher ?
My guess is a Ruger 77MK2 in .257 Roberts ?
As for a scope for your .264,
I think I wouild go with a VX3 3.5X10. Mabye a 4.5X14 without the adjustable objective.
In mY opinion there is almost never a need for much over about 6 power on a big game rifle.
Its nice to have , but you don't really need it...tj3006

Mr. Jones,

Thanks for the information.

You guessed correctly. My favorite rifle for several reasons is the Lipsey's limited run 257 Roberts M77 MKII RSI......My next is a 6.5x55 if they ever get around to making them.

Robert

Bruz

NRA Lifetime Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruz,

Two powders that haven't got a mention and are worth trying are RE-25 and N570.

I have three 264's in different barrel configurations and both powders shoot in all three.

RE-25 is very good with the 120-130 weights.

N570 will give you max velocity with the 140's and up.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Hey Buzz,

How is the action on that rifle? Or, more accurately, how is the feel of the Montana action? Stiff, rough? Smooth?

I'm seriously considering one for my next rifle...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote