New
Find
Notify
Tools

do-all .223 BLUE DOT load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a .223 BD load for popping turtles & crows up to 200yds, and the occasional small deer at 100yds or less. Rifle will be a Rem model 7 w/ 18.5" 1:12 barrel.

Thinking about trying the 60 gr Hornady and 60 gr partition, but I'm concerned about accuracy. I'm not interested in the Barnes TSX bullets & I really don't need accy better than .6 or .7". What other tough bullets are out there in the 50-60gr range?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hardin284:
I'm looking for a .223 BD load for popping turtles & crows up to 200yds, and the occasional small deer at 100yds or less. Rifle will be a Rem model 7 w/ 18.5" 1:12 barrel.

Thinking about trying the 60 gr Hornady and 60 gr partition, but I'm concerned about accuracy. I'm not interested in the Barnes TSX bullets & I really don't need accy better than .6 or .7". What other tough bullets are out there in the 50-60gr range?

Sierra Game King

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any weight Sierra better than others?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerDrop Hot Core a PM. I'm sure he can solve that for you. stirroger shocker

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO I would use 55 grain bullet, because sometimes 60 grain bullets are iffy in a 1 in 12 twist. I have premium bullets I use, but for a cheap, tough bullet it is hard to beat 55 grain SP Prvi Partizan (Serbian)bullet. Graf.com sells them for $10 per 100 or $90 per 1000. I use them on crows and critters in my pecan orchard with around 13.5 grains of Blue Dot (ALWAYS WORK UP YOUR OWN SAFE LOAD). You might want to give it a try. They are cheap and accurrate for me.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The regular Hornady 55gr Spire Point has a reputation for holding together well enough for game animals. I use 12.5 gr. Blue Dot in my loads with a 50 grain Hornady, but you can likely go up to 13 gr with the 55 without running into trouble.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hardin284:
Any weight Sierra better than others?

Sierra Game Kings only come in one weight for your twist in the .224 cal.(FMJ,SP,& HP)....You should call the Sierra tech. rep. to find out more info about them to see if they fit your needs...
With Blue Dot powder you can load down to .22 Hornet vel. up to I don't know what as I have never used Blue Dot...So when you call the tech. rep. you should tell him what vel. you will be loading for...

http://www.sierrabullets.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that a Blue Dot load for such a small caliber is not a "do-all" load, at least not for deer which one wouldn't want to kill with a Hornet, either.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote