Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 AI shooters..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
I am gathering data for a rechambering job and need to know the benfits of Ackley improving the x55 case. What are the velocity, and accuracy gains if any? Would you recommend it over a 6.5'06 or 6.5 284?

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently working on a 6.5x55BJAI. I am ready to go out and start fire forming.. Just have not had any spare time... I have Bob Jourdan's load data. What bullet weight are you working on? I would be happy to forward you some info...

Later....

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC,
Bob Jourdan of Precision Shooting magazine did the development work on this excellent cartridge.
Mauserkid, myself and others are quite taken with the possiblilites. I have one in the works for myself as soon as I can get to it. The 6.5x55 BJAI is a winner no matter which way you look at it. IMHO, you are headed in the right direction.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know you might consider calling Bob about the project. His # is on the masthead of PS on the editorial page. He's one heck of a nice guy, and knows his 6.5's like few others.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are rechambering, be sure to get a reamer with an extra long pilot so it will engauge the bore before it starts cutting.

The AI holds only 2 to 3 fewer grains than the 6.5-06 and is more efficient, so with a COL of 3.0 inches a 140 gr Seirra match bullet will do over 2900 fps with the right powder. At the other end of the scale, the Hornady 95 gr Vmax will do 3550 fps.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long a barrel do you need to see this improvement? I have a 22" barrel on my featherweight and I have been considering having this done. .270 and 30-06 seem to work well out of a 22" barrel so I figured this should also.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B'man,

As a general rule of thumb, you can subtract 25-35fps loss per inch of barrel removed. Since the 6.5x55 BJAI obtains its best velocities from slow burn powders, the 35fps figure should be the one to guess-ti-mate. IMHO, you should have a barrel 22 inches or more....no less than 22.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why bother?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not?

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLC:
I am gathering data for a rechambering job and need to know the benfits of Ackley improving the x55 case. What are the velocity, and accuracy gains if any? Would you recommend it over a 6.5'06 or 6.5 284?

You are right Mauserkid, I know nothing about MLC as a man.
Quite frankly I see no advantage, and somewhat a waist of time, but then again... each to their own.
I could NEVER be convinced that the 6.5x55AI would have the advantages(beyond nominal) that MLC is looking for, as individual rifles (and handloaders) have far more pressing issues than the subtle case differences these two cartridges show.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My reasons for using Bob Jourdan�s design.

I felt that I could take advantage of the magazine well, and use all the case for my powder. If you look at the O6 case, it is possible you would loose some case capacity while trying to go bigger, heavier bullets. As far as going to a 6.5x284 case, there is nothing wrong, if you have the extra cash to waist. I feel your results will be the ultimately the same using the 6.5x55 case. I have been told it also a very strong design too..

Sorry for the delay in my posts, been supper busy....