THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Blue Dot & the 22/250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Blue Dot & the 22/250
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted

"I am sure it does not apply to you, but paying attention to what one is doing on his reload bench goes a long way toward safety."

Oh, I,ve screwed up more than once,prop job.
I've never used blue dot but now I see it might be the ticket for my.375X41 and 9x41???? Thank you. What do you think of Fieseler Storch for a handle? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I think a Fiesler Storch would be a good handle. Few of us would know what it WAS tho. I however would. It is another cool plane. Did you know they were so good at lift, that in a wind, a good pilot could actually make that aircraft virtually hover???

Amazing Bird!

Cheers and good shooting,
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone got interested in this, I did finally get to the range and chronograph some of these loads.

With 21 grains of Blue Dot and a 55 grain FMJ Winchester bullet, Remington case and Rem 9.5 primer, velocity was as follows
1. 3468fps
2. 3430 fps
3. 3426 fps
4 3468 fps.

I used the rest of the rounds I had loaded to just see how well it grouped. It was raining as usual in Oregon, so I just posted a target at 50 yds is all. Groups were coverable with a dime at 50. Two were one hole groups.

Good luck to anyone else who tries it. I think I am going to go down to an even 20 grains as I was looking for 3250 fps.

This would correspond to the 223 with 40- grain loads. With 7 or 8 inch ground squirrels we have a target rich environment, that you do not have to go out beyond 200 yds, to keep busy.

Cheers and good shooting.
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire - that's useful data!

I long ago worked up mouse-poot loads for my 223's but whenever I inquired about the same in 22-250, most avoided the "I dunno" answer by talking about 223 instead. Hmm.

Much appreciated sir! New capabilities for the Gopher Jihad!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure Redial. Glad to assist.

Good luck out there shooting it.

Cheers and Good Shooting
seafire

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
" Did you know they were so good at lift, that in a wind, a good pilot could actually make that aircraft virtually hover???"

Yes at about 37mph wind. Did you know that Erich Hartman's Storch is at the Air Force muesem in Dayton? 109s weren't the only thing he flew. I'm buying some Blue dot tomorrow.Oh! one of our local fields has a Storch and an Antonov. roger
Cheers and good shooting,
seafire

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR4064 for the 22-250 and it is very accurate. You can load them as fast as you want to. I keep mine at 3600fps
with the 55grhp.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
California gun shows used to be great. The Orange County Gun show today SUCKED big time. Nobody was selling BLUE DOT roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I was out at the range this afternoon since the weather was fantastic.

For a point of reference. I am finding that a 50 grain bullet with 20 grains of Blue Dot is the most accurate. I chronographed a five and the velocity was at 3395. Standard Deviation for 5 shots was only 2 fps. Pretty wild huh?

I also was playing with an alternative, to the Blue Dot loads that would have the same point of impact. I also like to use IMR 4198. 25 grains of IMR 4198 with a 50, 52, and 53 grain Sierra HP gave me the same point of impact and the same velocity as the 20 grains of Blue Dot with a 50 grain Bullet.

With all, the results were pretty much one hole groups, for 5 to 8 shots.

Also same point of impact at 100 yds, with a faster velocity by 200 fps was 28 grains of RL 7. Accuracy was also right there.

With faster velocity with Blue Dot and bigger than the 50 grain bullet , the groups started to open up. Same thing with more than 25 grains of IMR 4198.

Hope you can find this useful. I have got to go reload those cases so I can take them out ground squirrel shooting again tomorrow morning.

Cheers and good shooting
Seafire.