New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm "BRM" info?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a Ruger #3 re-barreled to the wildcat 6.5mm BRM (Bench Rest Magnum). This is basically a 219 Donaldson Wasp (30/30 case) opened up to 6.5mm with the shoulder moved forward. This increases the case capacity enough that with modern powders the ctg. equals the ballistics of the 6.5mm Swedish Mauser.
Anyone have one of these? Load data info appriciated.
Thanks...Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead Dave but E.A. Brown is the one doing the rifle for me and of course I've read everything he has on the website about the ctg.
I was hoping to find someone (besides Brown) with additional info, load data, and field experience with the round. Most of Brown's load data is based upon Lapua bullets and Vitta Vouri powder. While these are excellent products I have none of either and would like some load data for Speer, Sierra, Hornady, IMR, Alliant, Hodgen, etc.
Thanks again for the reply...

Jon

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jon-It's a terrific cartridge but does not equal the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. The 6.5 BRM will do an honest 2400 fps from a 23-24" barrel with 140 grain bullets. The Swede will do 27-2800 fps (140 grain bullets and Re-22) in a modern rifle.

Brown, like many others, has found that long bullets with high SDs kill far out of proportion to their size when launched at modest velocity. The theory is a sound one, and whether or not it has anything to do with "hang time" in game, the results are certainly conclusive. The 6.5, 7mm and .300 BRMs are all one ever needs for deer out to 300 yards -- and most deer are killed much clsoer than that.

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon, pop over to E.Arthur Brown's site www.eabco.com that round is his baby and he can give you load data

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote