Find
Notify
Tools

savage axis in .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i oredered a couple of these for christmas presents, the black synthetic stock models... for truck guns... anybody have 1???.. any particular factory ammunition that they like??.. my RRA's like the 62 aand 68 gr blackhills stuff... and 2nd is the federal lake city 55 gr..just wondering about them.. thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advise would be to NOT SHOOT THEM and sell them as new. We bought several as give away youth guns for charity hunts. They are pieces of crap! AFter the first two shots the bbls heat up and the group drastically move. The stocks are really flemsy and contact the bbls as they move. We tried to relive the stocks and the plastic in them gummed up with the sanding. We sent one back to Savage just to see what they would say and it came back as factory standard, no problems found. Bottom line they are JUNK!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have an Axis in .223. Not a rifle I'd recommend to anyone to buy. 1. Good chance the extraction of spent brass will be poor. I have to yank back the bolt hard just to get brass to dribble out of receiver. 2. You will probably find the trigger pull to be too heavy and will require some work (which is not difficult) to correct. 3. If shooting from a bench rest with Axis, you may find your scope's horizontal crosshair rise an inch or so on a 100 yd target when pulling trigger. Design flaw of trigger guard piece.....stock weak at its wrist where trigger guard fits and will flex.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Savage 110s over the years and without exception, they are the most accurate rifles you can get for the money, shooting as well or better than Remingtons. Never had any trouble with extraction; it is a pretty simple thing and hard to get wrong. True, they are not accu-triggers, but for hunting/truck guns, they are fine. If you have to yank bolt back to get ejection; your ejector spring is weak. Never owned an axis per se. I hope Savage has not cheapened the old 110 too much.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axis ejection problem.....weak spring? Perhaps it is the cause, but gent at range I shoot, familiar with Savage bolts suggested I remove ejector piece and widen its groove for retaining pin that holds it in bolt....something he's done to solve similiar ejection problem on a Savage rifle.

I've followed a fair number of posts about the Axis rifle on this and other gun forums. Recall other owners commenting about having a weak ejection of sprnt brass with their Axis.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my friend has one and loves it. his satisfaction makes me want to get one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
my friend has one and loves it. his satisfaction makes me want to get one.

Buy one of Jimatcat's Big Grin.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
My BIL bought one for my oldest nephew in 25-06...no complaints at all with it!! Kolby has been ringing steel out to 350yds since he received it last December Smiler

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote