THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    anyone have software for recoil?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone have software for recoil?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I am curious as to the difference of say a 260/6.5x55 that uses 45-50 gr powder, vs a 6.5x47 Lapua, that is running about 37-38 gr.

I would think it drops recoil 1-3 lbs. It seems to be VERY close in performance to the other two rounds, of course preferring slightly faster powder.

Anyone care to guess barrel life in these? Thinking of using the new Lapua should I build a rifle, cons are the dies and brass are much more than say 6.5x55 Lapua brass.

It would be used for paper, and varmints to deer, possibly an elk someday but that would be an anomoly.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedBest guesstamet
  • 6.5x55 recoilenergy13.4 to 14.9 ft.#, recoil Velocity 10.4 to 11 ft./sec.
  • 6.5 x 47, recoil energy 8.5 to 10.5 ft.# recoil velocity, 9.2 to 10.4 ft/ sec.

This was done on two softwares and a little guess work???? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of 6.5BR
    posted Hide Post
    WOW! I am surprised.......nearly the same ballistics for much less recoil. Should be able to see bullet hits in sporter weight rifle with the 6.5x47

And I was thinking of keeping it simple with a swede or 260 for brass/die costs, now this complicates things.

One of Us
    Picture of 6.5BR
    posted Hide Post
    BTW Bartsche,

Thanks for your help/efforts.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Here is a site for you:

www.realguns.com

One of the best kept secrets on the web, and one of my very favorite shooting-related sites. Look under the "ballistic calculators" tab at the top of the page.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of ramrod340
    posted Hide Post
    Here is another.

http://sst.benchrest.com/recoil.html

As usual just my $.02
    Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of 6.5BR
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks very much guys, appreciate your help.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Also, though the numbers look exact, they aren't a particularly good model of felt recoil effects.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote