THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    700 Titanium and the 260 Rem.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 Titanium and the 260 Rem.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I came across a 700 titanium in 260 last week and had to pick it up. I had one when they first came out and did not really appreciate what I had and sold it. What was Remington thinking putting out a rifle with a quality composite stock, fluted bolt, titanium action with a forward thinking cartridge 15 years before anyone else? I bet that guy got fired. I put a VX-2 on this one with lightweight mounts and it feels like I forgot to put the gun in the case when I bring it to the truck. My first one was about an MOA gun with a horrible trigger. This one has a better trigger and I am anxious to get out and see what it can do. Life smiled on me with a second chance at love!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to have the same Remington. but I kept mine. I must keep the barrel very clean to make it shoot well. clean every 8 to 10 shots. let us know how the new one does.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
The 700 ti's were great rifles. Unfortunately Remington in their usual short sightedness quit making them all too soon.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those also, very neat little rifle. Shoots everything to the same point of impact.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
The 700 ti's were great rifles. Unfortunately Remington in their usual short sightedness quit making them all too soon.

One could say Browning also quit making them too soon.

Closer to reality though is that they probably made a run of them and could't make more without significantly increasing the price or reducing profit margin.

In the end, the big companies are driven by profits. That's the stock market driving things.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the little gem out last evening. The trigger was done and is pretty good, breaking right at 3 pounds. Not super crisp, but good enough. The 3 bullets I shot were 100gr Partitions, 130gr Sierra Game kings, and 130gr Accubonds. They all shot fairly well with the Accubonds being the best at 1.2" outside to outside and the partitions the least appealing at 1.6 outside to outside. These were all loads I have loaded on the shelf that are very accurate out of my other 260s. I didn't get to the 125gr Partitions or 120gr B-tips and TSX, but hope to tomorrow evening. So far I'm pretty excited. It's a cooler gun than I remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine really shoots the 130 gr. TSX

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Remington killed that rifle right when light rifles got popular from all the other manufacturers! Really stupid move. Like Ruger killing the RSM Magnum.

I would try the 130 gr Sciroccos. That's what I plan start with for my 6.5x55.

Keep working powder, bullet, primer, and seating depth combos. I've made sewer pipes shoot well with the right combos.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
My Daughters 700 mountain rifle in 260 shoots the 120gr Barns TTSX well.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have an early Rem 700 TI in .270 Winchester. My most recent gun purchase Big Grin . I love how light weight it is. Factory trigger is right at 3.5lb...I think I am going to put a Timney wide shoe in it though. I've never been a .270 fan but this rifle model + that caliber has me dying to take it out in the field.

So many rifles, so little time...

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .260 is ready to roll. It will shoot 125 Partitions and 130 Accubonds a shade under an inch at 110 yards. The Accubond gets the nod this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I love Accubond bullets, Maybe more than Partitions (scrub my mouth oven cleaner).

What calibers did they sell in the TIs. Good excuse to buy a carbon fiber stock to make a true mountain rifle. Titanium is also not prone to oxidation.

Have fun, and keep us updated.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington shot themselves in the foot with the 260 just like they did with their 6mm Remington round.

great case design, poor engineering of the entire package.
maybe one day they will quit trying to make everything a varmint rifle suitable for only light bullets.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote