New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Swede or not to Swede?
 Login/Join

<Dogger>
posted
I have 6.5x55 reloading dies, brass, and 140 grain Speer Hotcors, but no rifle.

I want to set up an all-weather, nasty conditions deer/black bear/hog rifle for less than $500 US (to prove to the wife that not all hunting rifles must be expensive!)

Some questions for forum opinion:

(1) Should I stick with the Swede or migrate to the 260 Remington?
(2) How do you recommend I proceed on this project to keep costs under $500 US?
(3) What set-ups do you find most enjoyable in 6.5?

Thanks!

<Robin>
posted
I have two swedes. One is in military dress and the other was a hack job that I had redone. both shoot like champs. I have taken cull bison with each (no problem) and I just took an elk with the spoterized one. All three kills were one shot kills. The old swede rifles are getting more expensive but youshould be able to stay under $500. My sporterized swede cost $400 and is a fine rifle. Drop me an e-mail and I will send you a photo and thename of my gunsmith.
rmarsett@comcast.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a sprorterized swede, re-do what needs doing, and go hunting. you'll probably find you will spend less then you allotted budget, I know I did. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never was able to make myself stop with what I'm about to suggest...but what would be wrong with just drilling and tapping the receiver on a good old military Swede of your liking, turn or replace the bolt handle to clear the scope...and quit?

Shucks, you could even strap on a leather cheek piece, maybe a recoil pad to adjust the LOP if necessary...and if you can't do all the above for under $500, you need to find a new gunsmith.

I am visualizing something like the German sniper rifle of WW-2.

OR...  - you could admit to your wife that she is right and go buy yourself something snazzy. Sometimes it's best just to give up and enjoy it. [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sweede,Sweede,Sweede,Sweede,Sweede,Sweede,Sweede, Sweede, [Big Grin] Seriously I have 2 sweede's one military one sporterised, both great. Stick with the sweede.

Bakes

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first answer is yes, the 6.5x55 is a great cartridge for almost all NA game.

Second, if you are patient, you should be able to pick up a sporterized M96 for about the same price or less than an "as issued" model. I have seen them reasonably often in the $175 to $275 range, often with a cheap scope included. You can hardly go wrong at that price.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger,if you want a Swede let me know,I have a short rifle in original set up that I'm not shooting anymore

[ 11-04-2002, 05:18: Message edited by: Dave James ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger,

I would prefer the 260 as you are more likely to get throat length to your liking. The problem would be finding one in your price range. Nothing against the 6.5x55 though.......great with handloads.

I you would like a new rifle, I would consider the Howa in 6.5x55. Good gun at a great price. Seems last I checked, I found a dealer that would order me one for about $375. That would strain your budget but you may prefer that over a military version.

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger,

Hie thee to Hugo's in Bealeton for the next show. You can surely find a crudely converted M-96 for $150 - $175. That leaves plenty for fixing up.

I find the prices you guys are throwing around hard to adjust to. I was last active in guns about 10 years ago and was putting together perfectly serviceable sporters for about $100 each in outlay.

I also have laying around a 6.5 x 257 I put together for my ex on an Arisaka action. That is a fine cartridge. Should be since there ain't a nickle's worth of difference between it and a 6.5 x 55.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote