New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 or 6.5-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
O.K. I made the question to broad on the Big Game forum so I will break it up between two forums.
I have a 98 mauser action I want to play with. If I go with a smaller bore I want to put a heavy fluted barrel from E.R. Shaw on it and am looking at either 25-06 or 6.5-06.
It will be a varmit/deer rifle. Please pro's or con's of these two calibers. i know others are good also but these are the two I am narrowing it down to.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, hmm, either way you're going to launch 120-140 gr. bullets at 3000+ fps, so I'd say either way you're safe. .25-06 wins for factory availability and better weights for varminting, 6.5-06 wins for the long, slender 140gr. killpills vs. deer-sized game.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a .007 difference in bullet diameter - a big game animal is not going to know the difference - personally I think a 25-06 is a bit big for varmints - I use to shoot jack rabbits and pdogs with a 25-284 and 75 hp - the muzzle blast and dirt in my face when shooting prone was flat annoying. Certainly the big game advantage goes to the 6.5 with 140 gr - If I was going this route though I'd choose a 6.5-284 - especially with that mauser action where you could seat that 140 gr out where it belongs - and factory brass is available.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the 6.5 95g V max bullets work very well so it would come down to what it is going to be used for the most, also how big is the game you are going for the most, and last would be how long are the shots going to be.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25-06.

good all around caliber

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For varmints, the .25-06 would be a bit better & for deer/antelope the 6.5-06 would have a slight edge. A .257 AI would be interesting as well as the 6.5x.284.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can heartily recommend the 6.5-06. Mine is one of the most cosmopolitan rifles I own. Practically anything you load for it shoots very well. That's more than I can say for several 25-06's I have owned over the years. Don't get me wrong, I found loads the 25 would shoot great, but they were "fussy" as could be. Not so the 6.5-06. [Smile] I get 3000 with the 140 Partition, and 3180 with the 125. Either of these positively flattens a deer, even our big Northern Muleys. [Big Grin] Unless you plan to shoot competition with long, boattail bullets, a 9.5" or 10" twist will do fine. Regards, Eagleye.

[ 10-05-2002, 05:27: Message edited by: Eagleye ]

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Hey...what is the big idea of using my handle (albeit, with a minor change)? I have been known as "Eagle Eye" all over North America since the internet was a newborn.

FYI, I have reason to be known as Eagle Eye and have been called same for years...I have 15/20 vision and can spot game (moving or still) before anyone else even gets an inclinking there is game in the region! On top of that, I can hit just about anything I lay my crosshairs on...including a coyote at 725 measured yards (with witnesses)....Okay, I admit it didn't die as promptly as I'd like but heck, I did hit it.....Now just because you are also from Canada (even if you do reside in one of those have not provinces) doesn't mean I'll go easy on this point... [Mad] [Frown] [Big Grin] [Wink]

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Now, to answer the question at hand...easy, 25-06. If you ever want to dump it, it will be easy. Besides, nothing I have ever experienced (short of 30 cal Wby Mag and up) have the same effect on game like a 25 caliber pill doing 3400 fps. They are accurate, easy to load for, and fun to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
An easy answer for me. 6.5-06AI.

I launch the 142MK's at a bit over 3000 and they fly true. I use the 95 vmax and it flies at about 3500 or so.

The new Hornady 129 grain SST shoots extremely well on paper, will give a report on how it is on game the first week in Nov. The 129 grain interlock worked great last year.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote