New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 brass
 Login/Join

<Bobby B>
posted
Does anyone know if there is significant difference in the capacity of Lapua or Hornady 6.5-284 brass versus Norma? I have tried Winchester and found it to have a little less capacity and to be a little bit harder brass than Norma. I am necking down to 6mm-284. What brand of brass do you prefer, and why?
I am new to this so I appreciate any feedback.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the sized Winchester 284 brass for a simple reason....cost. I see no need to spend twice as much and get half the brass. BUT, you should know before starting that the neck diameters are different with the various types of brass and the reamers used to cut the chamber. Since mine shoots 1/2" with the resized Win brass, I never much cared.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Norma set the standard C.I.P for this cartridge and I think lapua and Norma are quite close both in volume and size. If you rifle is reamed with norma standard there willbe no problem with factory brass from Scandinavia. I suggest you give Hornady a call. If brass is stamped 6,5-284 I have a hard time beliving that is should be made to a different standard than NORMA's

Cheers
/ JOHAN