New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Load Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought Lee Dies, 20 rounds of Brass and Hornady 140 grain bullets to load for my 6.5x55 Swede. I checked the loads in my Hornady book and the only powder I had available was IMR 3031. I did not want to set up the powder measure for 20 rounds so I dipped them using a Old Lee dipper set I have. the loads started out at 30.9 grains for a vel of 2300 the next one up was 32.6 grains for a vel of 2400 and on up to a max load of 36 grains for a vel of 2600. For a starting point I decided on the 32.6 grain load only I am using a load of 32.3 grains because the closest I could come using dippers was using a dipper that dropped 28 grains and one that droped 4.3 grains for the 32.3 total. Any one here use a load simular to that and how did it perform for you? Gun is a 96 Mauser made into a Scout rifle with a shorter barrel than the standard 29 inches I settled for a just over 20 inch barrel. Jim

lib*er*al: `li-b(&-)r&l
Noun: a person so open minded their brains have fallen out

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbI would say you now have a thinking man's hunting rifle.I hope you have a good scope mount. I saw some come apart at the range. Don't know who made them. I've made four scouts and like them of course.Some people see them as a bid negative. nutroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mount is my own based on the Ashley mounts that you solder back in place or epoxy where the old sight base was located. Mine is a tube epoxied on the barrel with a weaver base screwed into it with 4 6/48 screws it is not moving. thumb The mount you see on the Bushnell Phantom pistol scope is screwed to that base with 3 6/48 screws. All screws are loctited with the blue loctite. If I find a other scope I want to use I can uscrew this scope mount for the Bushnell and I can mount it to the Weaver mount with traditional weaver rings.

lib*er*al: `li-b(&-)r&l
Noun: a person so open minded their brains have fallen out

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote