THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Stevens Model 200 more inclusive report!!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens Model 200 more inclusive report!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
CoolFirst lets deal with the continuing saga of the new mod 200 in 22-250 that had a feed problem. The magazine feed problem was never fixed as I thought it had been shame. Taking a Midway mod. 98 single shot follower and doing some file fit and form. I now have a very nice Stevens Mod. 200 single shot 22-250.

With the barrel only 1/2 cleaned ( maybe not that much )from last week this sub $300.00 light weight hunting rifle shoot an 8 shot 3/8" group with 4 consecutive bullets going thru the same hole.

It also shot a 10 shot 1/2" group, a 3 shot 1/4" group and a 3 shot 3/8" group. These were all at 50yds.All different loads and only the second day out. There has just about been 100 rounds put thru the barrel total.All first shots after brakes and such seem to be 1/4 to 5/8" out from the rest of the group.

There were 2 more new Mod 200s out today, A .243 and a 7-08 . Out of the box they feed perfectly and the accuracy was far better than expected. My anguish has subsided. I will now start to remove all the stock's joint blemishes and all the sharp plastic tits created by hot pressing in the checkering. I was aware of this before I bought the rifle. Than my artist wife will paint on one of her wild life scenes and total camo.

Side issue: of all the type bullets I fired in the 22-250 today the Sierra 53gr HP match was the best performer, the Speer 52gr. hpbt was a close second and the Speer 50 gr. HP TNT was a nice third.

The 40 gr. Nosler Balistic Tip had the first three in a 1" horizontal group and the next three formed a neat 1/4" group.

50 gr. psp Rem bulk opened the day with a 3 shot 1/2" group followed by a 3 shot 1/4" grp.

I really did not expect to get this clapperformance.roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Further proving deep pockets don't get all the fun! animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger

My 12 BVSS in 223 has had about 1000 plus rounds thru it so far....

A lot more deluxed out than your Stevens.. but the accuracy is pretty much the same...

I am loading up the first of the rounds for the 116 in 7 Mag I picked up on sale for $349.00.....

I am looking into the switch barrels on that one... that is why I wanted the long action...

Going to replace the stock with a laminated one, as the other barrels will be varmint weight barrels.... Most of its life in my possession will be range work...A couple of clear days, and I have burnt up about 500 rounds thru 223s this week....just target work and testing....

The Sierra Match bullets and the 50 grain TNT get real high marks out of my rifle also...Another sleeper from Speer while you are playing around is the 52 grain Hollow Point... it is a varmint bullet as opposed to a match bullet... it is my back up bullet when they are sold out of 50 grain TNTs locally....

Have you tried any of the 75 grain HP or AMaxes yet???I have found the 75 grain Match HP to be more accurate than the A Maxes in my rifle....

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
All first shots after brakes and such seem to be 1/4 to 5/8" out from the rest of the group.

quote:
The 40 gr. Nosler Balistic Tip had the first three in a 1" horizontal group and the next three formed a neat 1/4" group.

Roger

I set up and tested 4 Savages (22-250) in the last year. All of them exibited this to some degree.

FYI all responded well to bedding of the action.

Also, thanks for the reports, keep them coming.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a winner, I've bene giving some thought to one for a truck rifle. 22/250 of course. You buy chance shot any of the 60's thru it yet? In particular try the 63 Sie if you get a chance.

My Dad has always said those that have the most fun are those that do the most for less...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I bought a Model 16, in .22-250 Rem, for a "truck
gun". This rifle shoots 50 gr. V-Maxs into .3 MOA
groups(5 shot)! Well now I am looking for a new
"truck gun" since this one is just too accurate
to be left to bounce around the truck, waiting
for some stupid fox, or coyote, to stand in the
open too long. I guess I should just buy that
Stevens .243 Win, that I keep looking at, and
put that in the truck. Maybe I should just shoot
factory ammo, so I never really learn just how
accurate the Stevens could be, and I would
feel better about leaving it in the truck Big Grin

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger

My 12 BVSS in 223 A lot more deluxed out than your Stevens.. but the accuracy is pretty much the same...It's the same with my 12BVSS-S. I'm a little in shock.

I am looking into the switch barrels on that one... that is why I wanted the long action...The action and magazines on these Mod 200s is almost identical to mod 98 lengths. To my way of thinking these are not short actions.

Have you tried any of the 75 grain HP or AMaxes yet???I have found the 75 grain Match HP to be more accurate than the A Maxes in my rifle....I have and somewhere on here I posted the results using the 12bvss-s. Great accuracy.

cheers
seafire
beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now those are the Savage reports I like to see! Sorry you haven't worked the bugs out of the 22-250 yet, but also glad the others have fed correctly.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 284Win:
Now those are the Savage reports I like to see! Sorry you haven't worked the bugs out of the 22-250 yet, ]

There is no yet . It will remain a single shot. pisserson the magazine. Eekerroger