New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini Cadet in 218 Bee
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an opportunity to purchase a BSA Martini Cadet in 218 Bee with a side mounted telescopic sight. Given a good barrel, what would the accuracy potential of this retro-varmint rig be?

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Cadets were meant to be used as training rifles, so they were reasonably well made for the period.

However, there is no practical way to determine accuracy by looking at a gun (let alone reading about it on an Internet forum).

Ask the seller for a 'test drive'; if he's interested in selling it, he/she shouldn't object.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rollinghills: If the Martini has been rebarreled with a quality barrel then you can expect with decent handloads sub-minute groups with the .218 Bee. If the price is right I would jump on the opportunity to pick up one of the best little rifles possible.........Roy

Posts: 26 | Location: Henderson, Nv. USA | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. The price was too "right", and it sold before I had a chance to look at it. I'll keep my eyes open for another. rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
<auto>
posted
You may have missed that one but some folks will read this anyway...so, I have a Martini cadet that has been custom built. It has a 24" barrel that is about 7/8" all the way out. The scope sits on top of the barrel. The gun shoots the K-hornet bullets into a small group. I have been shooting it and loading for it for a couple of years...maybe 5 years. Some drawbacks to this gun are: The hornet brass is fragile. Being a K-hornet, everything is fireformed. Many times the case neck splits when fireforming. This happens whether it is new ammo or reloads. .218 Bee may be a better choice of calibers. Another problem is, there isn't much room to put a bullet into the chamber. The scope is right there. Another problem is cleaning the barrel...some Martinis have a hole on the back of the action...mine does not. I have to carefully run the cleaning rod from the front. These are some of the pesky little things to think about. The Browning 1885's do not have these problems, nor do the rugers.