New
Find
Notify
Tools

About the 25 WSSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any 25 caliber round based off the 308 case will duplicate the 25WSSM- still in a short action- needs no special action, bolt face alteration, magazine will hold 4 and feed right every time, brass from ALL major manufactures and many small ones.
Sure for me the choice is the 257DGR and if I can get Savage/and or Ruger and Hornady Ammunition to take a serious look- I think they could bury the 25WSSM in sales, but the problem is it isn't a "MAGNUM" and the other problem is I can't afford to give away free hunts and rifles to a bunch of Magazine Editors for the advertising.
Oh - part of my negative opinion comes from the fact that a short fat 404 case was looked at when designing the 257DGR and was discarded for the reasons above- all the special mods needed to work in an existing action and NO increase in performance. I like the KISS system and the 25 WSSM is anything but. Excuse the rant-

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Duane, I agree. Although I like the theory (and practice) of the WSMs, I think the WSSMs are really pushing the limits of marketing hype. I guess if they sell rifles, more power to 'em. I like anything that will get more people involved in the shooting/hunting sports. If it takes a funky little fatso to do it, so be it. I just bought my first .25 caliber firearm - a .257 Roberts AI Encore barrel. I can't wait to start playing with the quarter bore!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do agree that the "good" is the fact it does have people interested and the Industry does need the excitement generated by the new developments. You will fall in love with your 257AI, it is a great cartridge.

www.duanesguns.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
DR: let us know how those 120gr Sierra HPBT's shoot in your new 257AI!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I think you are right. I shoot the 250 savage, the 250 AI, a standard 257, and a 25-06. The old 25 souper aka 308 necked down to 257 is likely the best ballance to be found. Your 257 I think is based on the 260 is very simular with some neck length differance, it is likely very ballanced. But we know that like the standard 308, good and ballanced do not make for advertising hype, and just like women, very good, stable, loveing, don't make super models. Flash is what people want, not what they need. But, I don't need as many guns as I have either, so a nitch market is what sells guns to many.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whelen 35- you right about the lack of "flashy". I do make all of my hunting ammo for the 257DGR from 260 because it is SO simple(there I go not flashy, simple-strike 2) I am in the process of making a Pd/hunter bench 257DGR and for the Hunter bench ammo I will start with 308 Lapua brass.
I shoot a 35 Whelen AI for my favorite "medium" rifle- same problem just works- no whistles and bells.

www.duanesguns.com

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

DR: let us know how those 120gr Sierra HPBT's shoot in your new 257AI!

Well, I plan to use this mostly for small critters and light big game (antelope), but if I ever get as far as the Sierras, I'll sure pass it along.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere lost in all the talk is the neat rifle the 25 WSSM is chambered in. I own a 257AI on a custom Mexican mauser and also a 223WSSM on a model 70. If I were to buy another 25 I would buy the WSSM in a heartbeat. While I love my Ackley, it is the same size and weight of my 300WSM. The 25WSSM is a whole lot shorter, lighter, holds the same number of rounds and is a bit faster than my Ackley, what is there not to like about it?

Of course the short fat is a bit or marketing, but once you get used to the shorter actioned rifles, you never want to go back to the longer actions.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane - You're right as rain, buddy. I coined the phrase many years ago that if a cartridge wasn't based on a military case, I didn't need it. And with only one exception, I've never owned a gun that I couldn't build my ammunition for from some military cases. Case forming is no big deal. Altering magazines, bolt faces etc is.

And for what???

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Quote:

but the problem is it isn't a "MAGNUM"

What does it take to warrant being called a "MAGNUM"? Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be a magnum or not to be a magnum - that is the question.
In the past it had to have a belt to be a magnum- now it needs to be as big around as your thumb and alas the poor little efficient 308 based family of cartridges are none of the above.

www.duanesguns.com