THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Field reports on CZ and Ruger in .22Hornet???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field reports on CZ and Ruger in .22Hornet???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for information on the .22Hornet in either the
CZ or Ruger rifles - or any other easily obtainable used rifle.

Please advise to accuracy results, prefered loads, and necessary tuning of these rifles etc.

Thanks,

Posts: 57 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought the CZ 527 in .22 hornet for my wife. Right out of the box, using my handloads (13 Gr of Lil'Gun under a 35 Gr V-Max), she was shooting sub MOA groups. her best to date is just under .4. This is a great rifle!
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you check out the CZ website at www.cz-usa.com
The CZ is the old Brno, and they pretty much made their reputation with the .22Hornet round. It's been spiffed up a good bit and now includes heavy barrels and laminated stocks. It's my next rifle for sure. Ruger? It's as good as the barrel, and with Ruger that can be an iffy thing. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N. Ga,

i HAVE A 22 HORNET CZ AND AM SHOOTING 11.0 GRS OF IMR 4227 BEHIND A 35 GR V-MAX AND AM GETTTING GROUPS UNDER 1/2 INCH.

HOPE THIS HELPS

SHEP

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 22 Hornet and I am VERY pleased with it Mine is accurrate( as it came from the box ) and reliable. No complaints from me.

Accuract for me with decent handloads is a consistant 3/4 to 7/8 inch at 100 yards and still under 2 inches at 200 yards- thats as far I wuold try to shoot anything with the Hornet anyway. My favorite load is 11.9 grains Win 296 under a 40 gr VMAX

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The Browning Micro Medallion or Mocro Hunter is another option. Very accurate in the Hornet and good looking if you don't mind the A-Bolt styling.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz Hornet and it was finnicky to find a load for (it loved factory win stuff) but once I found my load using 45 gr sierra's it has been a great rifle and I use it while spotlighting. It's good for foxes and roo's and easily amkes head shots out to 180 yards when I do my part. Longest shot I have pulled of with my Hornet cz rifle was 232 paces on a large male hare.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way I wanted the ruger but my gundealer warned me not to get one because he had sold two to other people and both could only get 2" groups at 50 yards.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just posted a .67" group shot with a .22 Hornet H&R/NEF Handi rifle at 100 yards on the "Blue Dot in a Hornet" thread. The total price for the rig as pictured is $155. The used barrel was $50 and I already had the shotgun frame. The scope and mounts was the highest priced part of the whole package! Of course, you can buy new barrels for $100 (counting shipping both ways).

You can do a Braztech/Rossi new for about $150 without scope, but I don't know how they shoot.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOt to knock Tom's from NY results but around here, every person I have seen at the range with a Ruger 77/22 Hornet has been pulling their hair out trying to make a shooter of it.

They either wing it, or rebarrel it with a PacNor barrel or to a 19 Calhoon., or trade it in on a CZ.

CZ spend their time gloating, instead of pulling their hair out.

I don't own either, but have spent enough time at the range next to guys that have to know what I would buy.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 77/22 in a hornet. It was really bad, floated glassed trigger job, known scope and every factory load I could get my hands on 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards. That was in 96. They were using, according to rumor, Douglas factory 2nds. So you either got a really good one or a real bad one. I think they have got it right now with the newer models. I have a Browning Micro now it shoots well under and inch at 100yards with Hornady Factory stuff. I am having it re-barreled to a 17AH. If you can get by the looks a CZ is a good chioce, But you are goona be hard pressed to beat the Browning. I will own several when I locate them, they are not easy to come by. Mine was on back order for a year.