New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 257 STW
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have built two of the beasts and they are fast!!!! As far as barrel life goes if you are using it for a hunting rifle it is not a problem, after all how many shots do you shoot a year at game? If the throat goes, set the barrel back a turn or so and recut the chamber, alot cheeper then a new barrel. In my experiance, with proper care a good barrel in thei calliber will take about 2000 to 2500 rounds before your groups open up. The last .257 STW I put togther is still shooting .487 groups after over 1000 rounds. The owner is an excelent shot and hand loader so I am sure that is part of it but modern barrels from top notch makers like Shilen hold up better then one may think.

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
I have the opportunity to pick up a 257STW based on a Mauser 98 action(?), McMillian stock and a fluted/tapered barrel for a reasonable (low) price. It looks like it has been set up for a sheep/antelope rifle.

I don't know very much about the cartridge, but from what I have found out just recently it sounds interesting.

A search on AR didn't show very much recent comment.

Can anybody point me to any good information sources, availablity of brass, barrel life expectancy, etc?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be vary carfull with that one.
I am no smith but I can't see how you can take enough steel out of a 98 action to to feed the stw case with out weakening the reciever.
I have a smith who knows his stuff and has been building custom rifles in the same shop for 25 years, he will only build the significantly shorter .257 weatherby on a MK 5 action and is hesitant to build even a 25,06 AI
on many actions. There is simply to little room for mistakes. With a bore that small even a a half grain of powder can raise preasure dramaticly and most anything can happen...tj3006

freedom1st