Find
Notify
Tools

Started w/ dirty barrel FYI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
clap CZ 527, .223 varmint rifle Barrel "DIRTY" from 2 previous range trips ; INTENTIONALLY !!!
Powder WCC 846
52 gr. Berger 6 shots .500" group at 50 yds.
52 gr. Nosler comp 4shots .200" grp at 50 yds.,
4 shots 1 1/4" at 200 yds.
46 gr. Win comp, 4 shots 1/4" grp at 50 yds.
Wind blowing in face at 45 degrees gusting between 20 and 30 MPH.
oldI will not clean this barrel for another six months; nor any other for that matter . flameroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Unlike your great performance shown here, i do go along with no cleaning once I get guns shot in for duration of "the season"

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't clean a barrel until it shows it needs it.

I have one cast bullet only rifle that hasn't had a patch down the barrel since I bought it in 1991.
it went way past 5,000 rounds before the turn of the century, I don't even try to keep track of the round count anymore.
it's seen a lot though I had to rebuild the steel mold for it [ replace the sprue plate, cut new vent lines, and lap the cavity's out] about 6 years back if that's any indication.

god I'd like to have all that lead back.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Ruger 7 Mag that will not shoot a group under 2" until it gets 15 - 20 rounds through it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I have a stainless Ruger 7 Mag that will not shoot a group under 2" until it gets 15 - 20 rounds through it.

Roll Eyes It may be that a little lapping would help a bit. holycowroger beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.
my 5R has some slight chatter marks down in the grooves near the muzzle and it definitely shoots it's best between 10 and 50 rounds.
after that it starts to copper up enough to affect it's best groups.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't clean during hunting season, but will store a gun with a clean barrel most of the time. First I learn what the gun likes..I have and 06 that I never clean because evertime Ive cleaned it accuracy went from sub MOA to 2 inches or more....

I would warn folks that if you live in humid areas it might be best to clean and oil your gun inside and out..I live in a high dry country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, folks,

I can't begin to tell you how many modern sporter barrels I've seen with a Hawkeye bore scope that were pitted -- sometimes very seriously -- simply because the owner didn't clean them. You'd be astounded how frequently this happens.

Corrosion forms under the fouling, regardless
of use of non-corrosive priming and smokeless powder. I've also seen numerous top quality sniper rifle barrels that were ruined simply because the troops fitted suppressors, zeroed them and then never cleaned them...

Superstition and ignorance about cleaning, despite clear instruction otherwise, cost the Government (that is, YOU and ME -- TAXPAYERS) many tens of thousands of dollars in grossly over-priced barrels. They are ruined due to pitting in the front half where condensation and fouling cause extensive pitting, long before their useful accuracy life should be at an end from firing.

To preserve your barrels, clean them **thoroughly.**

If you need to foul them in before hunting, fine -- but to leave them without cleaning for extended periods as a routine is to invite ongoing bore damage.

Of course, many, if not most hunters probably never shoot enough, test enough, or develop enough accuracy to be able to tell much difference. However, I figured I'd give you the benefit of extensive, real-world experience based on scientific observation and testing, not urban legend or "theory".

I hope this helps!
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John A.:
Hi, folks,

I can't begin to tell you how many modern sporter barrels I've seen with a Hawkeye bore scope that were pitted -- sometimes very seriously -- simply because the owner didn't clean them. You'd be astounded how frequently this happens.
John

WinkNow who could argue with such a well versed posting such as that?? Not I sir John. beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John A.:

I hope this helps!

John

I too hope this helps all of us who have been doing it wrong for 50 years & never pitted a barrel.

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote