THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .22LR Chamber Adapters for .223 Rem: Accuracy?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR Chamber Adapters for .223 Rem: Accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've seen these advertised from time to time, and was wondering what kind of accuracy could be expected using one? Assuming a rifle capable of sub-MOA groups with .223 ammo, a 4.5-14x scope, with match .22LR ammo used in the adapter. Would 1" groups at 50 yds be unreasonable? I've also read that there are several designs, with some being more conducive to accuracy than others. Does anyone know of a brand that they would recommend? Thanks.

<Jim Dannels>
posted
I think there is enough difference in bullet diameter to make it not do well.
Think you would do better by using reduced loads in the .223. There is a good article on reduced loads on the James Calhoon Site.
A GOOGLE search should put you on it.
There is some data on lead bullet loads in the Lyman Manual. I intend to work up some reduced loads this summer.

[This message has been edited by Jim Dannels (edited 03-13-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I already load Blue Dot in my .223, but would enjoy the advantage of just burning up a few boxes of ammo without the work of collecting and reloading cases. Plus, I'd like to use my rifle for squirrel and rabbit season as well, but only rimfires are legal here (not to mention the meat damage). Thanks

<hkr>
posted
I have no experence with chamber adapters, but according to Shooters Times Dec. 2000, a 22lr dia. is .222, 22 mag is .224 (in referance to 22lr,22mag combo guns with bore dia. of .224 such as the ruger single six). They say "the smaller soft-lead 22lr bullet will expand sufficiently under propelant pressure to fill and fully obturate in the larger bore). I know this is not the answer your looking for but maybe it will help.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
I've used them extensively in M-16's on reduced courses. Accuracy is so-so, compared to 223/5.56mm. Along with bore diameter, you also have a HUGE freebore section, but one of the main problems is the twist. A 22LR is best shot through a 1-16" twist. Most 223's are 1-14" at the slowest, most factory guns are 1-10" or 1-12", and the tight twist barrels are down to 1-7". If your barrel is a 1-14" or even 1-12", you may get decent results. Anything faster causes too much damage to the soft lead (unjacketed) bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point about the twist rate. My rifle has a 1-12 twist, but I was thinking that the Aguila SSS 60-gr round may be perfect for this application. Thanks.

<Patrick_D>
posted
Geo,

Just one other take on this. I have always understood that it's better to use exclusively lead or copper, not a mix of the two. This will do nothing for accuracy, and the time you save on not reloading will instead be spend on cleaning the barrel.

Patrick