New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your wisdom on a .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for an out of the box accurate out to 400 yds, .223 Rem bolt action.
What do you recommend?
Thanks

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross, for target, varmints?

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3x in one of its flavors. I like the CTR with the 20” barrel.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
CZ527, bull barrel

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to have two:
heavy barrel-Remington 700VS
light weight-Remington Model 7
both meet your standard

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Ross, for target, varmints?

Mostly targets and to introduce a grandson to shooting.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have a little Howa 1500 in a 223 (two of them actually) and they are so accurate it's boring. The actions are smooth as silk and they have a three position safety. Great little rifle that is lots of fun!!

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap little Savage Axis that I am pretty happy with, I agree the Howa is an excellent value though.
For me one important factor was the rate of twist. Many older 223's will come in a 12 twist, a later rifle should give you a 1-8 twist. It really depends on what you want to shoot in it. I opted for an 8 twist.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win model 70.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.243Win.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Your grandson will like a 223 and will do well with it. My 11yo grandson who hunts with his parents loves his Ruger All American bolt gun, barrel shortened to 16" with a partly over-barrel suppressor fitted. He has even shot a couple of free range young Himalayan Tahr with it up in our alpine regions.

The Ruger is very accurate and will shoot the heavier 65gr bullets as well as the pretty standard 55gr too.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot two Savage 110 Models with accurate triggers and stocks in .223 Rem. Each has a heavy barrel and are my go to Prairie Dog rifles. With 52 grain Sierra HPBT bullets they shoot ragged hole five shot groups all day when the trigger puller does his part. Longer shots get heavier bullets. I have 6.5 X 20 Ziess Coonquest scopes mounted on mine and for me it is perfect. 400 yards for me is streaching their effectiveness. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I've just bought a Tikka T3x Superlite Aspire. I understand that it is a model made specifically for the Australian and NZ markets.

https://www.berettanewzealand....tikka?product_id=613

I saw the rifle in the shop and just loved it and walked out with it and a simple 3-9 Burris scope.

I have loaded 55gr Hornady SP and Sierra 60gr HP bullets. Tried H322 & H4895 (AR2219 & AR2206H) A couple of promising loads that could be fine tuned.

I am also getting an after market spring for the trigger so that I can adjust it to 2 lbs or so.

The 60 gr HP bullets do not feed well. the tip hits the barrel edge and does not go into the chamber. I plan to try the Sierra 60gr SP bullets for fallow deer.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I've just bought a Tikka T3x Superlite Aspire. I understand that it is a model made specifically for the Australian and NZ markets.

I saw the rifle in the shop and just loved it and walked out with it and a simple 3-9 Burris scope.

I have loaded 55gr Hornady SP and Sierra 60gr HP bullets. Tried H322 & H4895 (AR2219 & AR2206H) A couple of promising loads that could be fine tuned.

I am also getting an after market spring for the trigger so that I can adjust it to 2 lbs or so.

The 60 gr HP bullets do not feed well. the tip hits the barrel edge and does not go into the chamber. I plan to try the Sierra 60gr SP bullets for fallow deer.

Very nice buy Naki, if you get any Sierra 65gr SBT bullets try 25.3grs AR2206H behind them. Previous owner of my grandsons Ruger AM 223 developed this load and I have reloaded same for him too.
My son, 11yo grandson and his mum all love the little 223 and have all shot deer, goats and grandson even a couple of young tahr with the Ruger. Barrel cropped to 16" with suppressor so a sweet wee gun to carry and shoot.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate. I used to own a Tikka LSA55 in 222Rem. The most accurate rifle I ever owned. Sold it 5 years ago and I wish I had it.

The T3x is a 22 inch threaded barrel with 1 in 12 twist.

I am not sure that 65gr will stabilize.

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Very nice buy Naki, if you get any Sierra 65gr SBT bullets try 25.3grs AR2206H behind them. Previous owner of my grandsons Ruger AM 223 developed this load and I have reloaded same for him too.
My son, 11yo grandson and his mum all love the little 223 and have all shot deer, goats and grandson even a couple of young tahr with the Ruger. Barrel cropped to 16" with suppressor so a sweet wee gun to carry and shoot.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the 60 gr. Hornady HP and SP in my sAKO L-461 223 and my Sako 222 Riihimaki on deer, antelope and PG for 40 plus years without a single problem..Fine guns and a great bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks mate. I used to own a Tikka LSA55 in 222Rem. The most accurate rifle I ever owned. Sold it 5 years ago and I wish I had it.

The T3x is a 22 inch threaded barrel with 1 in 12 twist.

I am not sure that 65gr will stabilize.

Yes true, the Ruger has a 1:8" twist so stabilisation of heavier bullets is not a problem. The Sierra 65gr SBT does have a shorter bearing surface due to the boat-tail and longish ogive so may stabilise. Unfortunately I don't have any examples left of the 65gr bullet otherwise I would send you some to try.
Sierra now also produce a 64gr Gameking Tipped (Gamechanger) bullet which would be a goody too although again unknown if it would stabilise in a 1:12" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 60 gr Hornady HP or SP is the perfect deer bullet in the 222,223 and even the 22-250, always perfect expansion on the few Ive recovered, most are pass throughs..I shoot them in Sako L-461s or Riihimakis..Btw, you might consider the 6-223 (6x45) for a great varmint and deer combo...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in here - I've a Browning X-Bolt hunter in 223 I'm using as my "walking" varmint rifle. It's extremely well made and has been silly accurate with all my handloads. Mine is the older version when they were still doing the 1:12 twist; new production rifles have a 1:8 twist to appease the heavy bullet crowd. I never go over 55gr, so it's not an issue. I recommend!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned multiple Rem 700s that meet your criteria. Just bought a Rem 700 classic, in .222. First time out, multiple 3/4” five shot/100 yard groups. And that’s with no load development.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger American Ranch. Mine shooting consistently quarter inch groups with my hand loads at 100 yards. All original, zero alterations.