Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 17 Super magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
Looks like a winner as it is a rimfire and ammo cost should be lower than centerfire rounds with same performance.

Savage will have a model B rifle to start.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear...um-3000-fps-rimfire/

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only useable for vermin and late to the market. 17 hornady is better allround cartridge.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i duno but i can load by 17 ackley hornet or 17 mashburn bee for about a dime a round, half of the rimfire cost

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The price I saw on ammo was $18 per 50---36 cents a round. You can reload much cheaper.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to find .17HMR's for less than $15.00 per box.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sticking with my Hornet. Reload @ premium 22RF prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Win 17 Super Magnum is doomed to being obsolete. According to one expert on this forum the picture on the box of ammo shows what the intended target is. The box I saw showed a pony express rider---who would want a gun for pony express riders---there aren't many of them around anymore.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Again, a wait and see attitude for most of us. My friends and I have the .17HMR and it would take quite a bit to change us. Cost of ammo would be a main consideration. Those who want a lower-priced varmint cartridge usually just handload their hornets and .223s.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellow shooters read this:

http://fmgpublications.ipaperu...NS/GUNS0111/?page=18

All you would have to do is have a barrel maker make you a barrel with the proper twist and you'd be in business and shoot 17 calibers a whole lot cheaper and from the article said, just as efficient.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People here always assume everyone reloads. That just is not the case. I never thought the 17HMR would become what it has. But yet I find many people who I would never expect to have one praising them. I can see this one doing well if enough rifles are made for it.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
People here always assume everyone reloads. That just is not the case. I never thought the 17HMR would become what it has. But yet I find many people who I would never expect to have one praising them. I can see this one doing well if enough rifles are made for it.

Far more folks do not load, I like to load but I still shoot plenty of 17hmr, or 22 mag or 17 wsm when ever it becomes available here in Canada.
You fellas in the USA seem to be able to buy compoants far cheaper by a long shot compared us folks in other countries, plus if you bought you 5 jugs of LilGun 10 years ago for a $100 and your 10000 vmax bullets for $11 a 100 and your 30K primers for $15 a 1000 the hell ya you can load Hornet for less than 22 rimfire.
A lot of you died in the wool penny pinchers seem to think the rest of the shooting fraternity is on food stamps and wellfare. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of you died in the wool penny pinchers seem to think the rest of the shooting fraternity is on food stamps and wellfare.

With the advent of the net we find a lot of the of the shooting fraternity tend to talk more than shoot. They talk, talk, talk but buy one or two boxes of ammo a year. So you know how little they shoot and therefore how little they know.
Reloading is not so much about penny pinching it is about being able to shoot as much as your want and still be able to buy all the rifles you want.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I made a inquiry to Cooper arms and received this response....

Cooper arms :

"we are still researching that caliber and should know in the next month or two if we are going to chamber that caliber. Please check back at a later date."

Also Volquartsen now has this caliber listed on their website and will update progress as it happens.

"One of the biggest announcements to come out of the 2013 SHOT Show was the introduction of the world's fastest rimfire - the new 17 Win Super Mag.
It didn't take long and we have been bombarded with emails and phone calls inquiring as to whether or not we would be offering a semi-auto chambered in the 17 WSM.
We are still in the early stages of prototypes, engineering and testing. Updates will be posted on this page as they become available."

https://www.volquartsen.com/page/17wsm

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This being Accurate Reloading, I would expect many to be reloaders. I think Saeed reloads, so I'm pretty sure he must be on food stamps.

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
This being Accurate Reloading, I would expect many to be reloaders. I think Saeed reloads, so I'm pretty sure he must be on food stamps.

55 million reloaders or is it freeloaders... Smiler

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Well if you go thru the forums it don't take long to see everyone here are not re-loaders. The most active maybe but many are here just for info and the good stories.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't Winchester build a rifle for that caliber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only gun chambered for the 17 Win at its introduction was the 1885 Winchester. I handled it at SHOT. Looking at what Win/Browning has available from their lineup that will fit the cartridge is the T-Bolt. I believe that might be the rifle chambered in the future. Doesn't matter to the owners where the profits come from; either Win OR Browning. However, I have heard that the velocity claimed is NOT what was achieved by the factory. I'll have to wait and see. Would like to see a few in circulation (and chronographed!) before I get interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rather spend time shooting or working than reloading, I can pay for my bullets

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun, Remember that Winchester firearms and Winchester ammo are two completely different companies that are not related in anyway beyond sharing a name. Does Winchester Firearms even make a rimfire rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks reelman1. I have a 22 lr in a Winchester Model 52B, that I bought at the same time that I also purchased a Kimber rifle in 22lr. It is just like the Model 70 big caliber rifles in nearly all aspects and respects and I have a very good Leupold scope mounted on it. I love shooting it because it gives me some cheap practice for the bigger calibers. That's why I thought that perhaps Winchester might be considering making a rifle to fit the caliber, since it's such a new and hot caliber. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm wrong. It sounds like a neat cartridge and concept; but; I think it's already dead out of the starting gate.

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks reelman1. I have a 22 lr in a Winchester Model 52B, that I bought at the same time that I also purchased a Kimber rifle in 22lr. It is just like the Model 70 big caliber rifles in nearly all aspects and respects and I have a very good Leupold scope mounted on it. I love shooting it because it gives me some cheap practice for the bigger calibers. That's why I thought that perhaps Winchester might be considering making a rifle to fit the caliber, since it's such a new and hot caliber. Big Grin

Unless I've missed something, Winchester has a rifle in the 17WSM caliber but it's a single shot. Like you, I am not sure if Winchester makes a bolt gun in a rimfire caliber. They likely have given over to Browning to do that with the T-Bolt line.
If Browning introduces a LH T-Bolt in the 17WSM, I will own one.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:Unless I've missed something, Winchester has a rifle in the 17WSM caliber but it's a single shot. Like you, I am not sure if Winchester makes a bolt gun in a rimfire caliber. They likely have given over to Browning to do that with the T-Bolt line.

Yep, they have the 1885 Low Wall listed on their website with a .17 WSM chambering.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/...d=524100&family=002C

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I guess time will tell. In Michigan you can hunt coyotes at night using rimfire rifles. No centerfire. This would be pretty handy for the purpose.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Unless I've missed something, Winchester has a rifle in the 17WSM caliber but it's a single shot. Like you, I am not sure if Winchester makes a bolt gun in a rimfire caliber. They likely have given over to Browning to do that with the T-Bolt line.

What Cliff said, but in the proper right handed version.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clem--Thanks for posting about Michigan you can use rimfire on coyotes at night but not centerfire. Strange law that I'd not heard of.