Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm Rem Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why isn't this caliber more popular?

I'm not guessing that it is some magical cartridge or anything, but it sure seems to meet up with what I ask for in a rifle/cartridge combination. '06 capacity, fits in a short action, bullets from 85-160; enough for anything where I wander.

The only current company to offer it is Remington in their guide gun, which is just ugly enough to make me like it, but the thing only has a 22" barrel, I would imagine that a 24" would be ideal for a small-bore cartridge like that. Ruger is supposed to catalog it but I haven't seen anything listed yet.

My thoughts are that it is just too close to the .270, and you start messing with that and people get all riled up!

Who has experience with this one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My $.02. I think it's because it's to hard/expensive to make one. If you want a SA, it's almost impossible to find s donar with the right rim size. Of course that's 'fixable', but at a price. It's easier to build a 6.5x284 on a short action and they are practicly identical. If you go with a long action you might as well build a 264 win or 6.5-06. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote