THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    You Thoughts on Rem. Mod. Seven in 260cal
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Thoughts on Rem. Mod. Seven in 260cal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
You folks have done a wonderful job of selling the .260 Rem!! I have had a desire for a Rem 673 in 6.5 Rem Mag since it came out if they would just get rid of that damn rib. All of my 6.5x55s and 6.5-06 AI are 8.5 - 10 lbs and the older I get the heavier they get. A couple years ago I was almost ready to rebarrel a .243 win in a Rem 660 into a .260...fortunitly, I came to my senses before I did it.

My new favorite gun is a Contender with an 18" barrel in 7 TCU with scope it is under 6 lbs and it killed 6 deer this year, all bang/flop. Under 150 yds, it is deadly!!

That still leave me with the NEED for a 6 pound 6.5mm gun..probably in .260. A stainless Mod 7 would work just fine. My only question is...will the Mod 7 action allow you to seat 140 gr or larger bullets out far enough to not loose too much case capacity and still feed properly??

Yes it will allow you to seat 140 and larger bullets. I load 160 gr bullets for a friend with a mod 7 in 7mm08. They work just fine.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is, in a local gunshop her in New Zealand, a model 7 CDL in wood blue with open sights.
It is a very nice looking rifle in 7mm08, it handles very well. One in 260 would be an ideal rifle for any one who likes a 6.5 calibre.
The salesman told me they had it before it had been released in America, I thought he was pulling my leg, perhaps he wasn't.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldun,

He was pulling your leg.. I have seen several down at a local shop at least a year ago...it would be a fast choice if I was in the market for a rifle.. but the 260 would be my choice first....

Actually I could be happy with the CDL in 223, 22.250, 243, 260, and 7/08....well we all need a 30.06 tho... just in case....I am not a Remington fan at first pick.. but I have to give credit where credit is due.. they really did a very very nice job on the CDL....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a short action bolt rifle the 260Rem would not be my first choice.

I will say it's a FAR better choice for a "First rifle" for a youth or woman than the usual choice of a 243Win.

My first choice in a lightweight yourth rifle for a small framed hunter? I'd pick a 7mm-08, but if your preference runs to a 260Rem that's just as good and honestly would be my second choice...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a Ruger stainless synthetic with a 22 inch bbl is a better choice for the 260 than the model 7.

1. 1 in 8 inch twist

2. 150 fps more velocity OR 10% less powder..you choose. Duplicate the 25-06 velocities in all bullet weights from 85 to 120 grs.

3. CRF

4. 3 position safety

5. A bit more weight, but NOT too heavy for a small woman.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire was a Model Seven in 7mm-08, got it shortly after they came out in the mid 80s. With full power loads and a compact scope, it kicked off the bench then, and it still does. I'd rather shoot my scoped CZ550 in 9.3x62 with full house loads off the bench than my M7 in 7mm-08. Someone else mentioned the 6.5 Grendel (basically a 6.5 PPC), definitely check it out.

www.65grendel.com

I have one, it used to be a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39. Now it wears a 19" 6.5 Grendel barrel and a Burris 2x to 7x compact scope (used to be on my M7 7mm-08). The thing is a joy to shoot off the bench, is a tack driver, and a dream to carry in the field.

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I would be very interested in hearing of the accuracy and velocity of your 6.5 G

What twists and who did the barrel? Heard it is difficult to get reamers....etc. but also thought I heard CZ or some semi-custom shop might make the 6.5 in a production run.

Would be better than the 7.62 x39 except for lack of cheap surplus ammo at the moment.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5BR, I cannot report on the velocity front as I don't own a chronograph. Also, I only had time to sight it in with factory 120 grain Ballistic Tips before deer season. The range I went to only had the 50 yard berm open for rifles, so I had to sight in at that range. At 50 yards after sighting in, I got 3 rounds into a cloverleaf.

Brockman's Rifles did the conversion on my CZ527.

www.brockmansrifles.com

The barrel is made by Lothar Walther, but I am unsure of the twist. I think the heaviest bullet anyone uses in the 6.5 Grendel is the 144 grain match bullet from Lapua, which it will stabilize. Take a long read of the forum on the 6.5 Grendel web page, and it will answer all of your questions...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have kept up on the Grendel site for a while now, thanks for your feedback, sounds like a nice rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I forgot to add, Wolf will be bringing out 6.5 Grendel factory loads some time this year...

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
heard the same, all the more reasons to consider this cartridge, Loads more interesting to me than a 7.62 x39 OR a 223 as you can get great downrange ballistics.