Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Chrono's wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
What do you think is the best Chronie for the money that is simple, accurate, and reliable, and not expensive?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the "guts" of the electronics are essentially the same, and very, very good and reliable. The difference is in the sensativity of the screens and ability to distinguish a bullet travelling at three times the speed of sound from other light anomalies.

Oehler (now unavailable) is probably the best. Even the cheapie basic "Chrony" brand works well most of the time. PACT, I believe, has a new infrared sensor that is represented as the new wonder on the block ("chronograph in the dark" -- as if you could see to shoot in the dark in the first place). I haven't seen any reports on the IR screens, so I can't say whether that is fact or hype.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Oehler 35P sure is simple to operate. 3 buttons.

My Oehler 35P sure is accurate. Every other brand tries to match up with Oehler. It is the gold standard. It has the proof channel and patented skyscreens. Best tribute I can give is that it catches 50 gr 22 caliber bullets going 3900fps from my 28" barrel 22-250 Rem. From sunup to sunset. For some reason I never thought the inability to shoot in the dark a detriment. Maybe it's just me!

My Oehler 35P sure is reliable. Only changed the 9V battery a few times in almost a decade. That makes it really cheap to operate. On the few times that a bullet nicked a resin diffuser or side rail I welded them with a Harbor Freight plastic welder.

I paid $225 for the non-printer Model 35. Carrying case, 2 music stands and a 4' mounting rail. Not expensive? I sure didn't think so.

Add up simplicity, accuracy and reliability. It doesn't equal inexpensive. That's why you can buy a chintzy, rebuilt, bargain basement Chrony for, what, 60 bucks? And spend your range time fussing with it to get it to actually give any accurate readings. I've lived long enough to know that all the old timers that kept telling me, 'you get what you pay for', weren't blowing smoke up my arse. You're the one who has to draw the monetary line in the sand and fix a dollar amount for a chronograph.

I wouldn't give up my Oehler for love nor money. I know that
when I get back from the range I'll have lots of accurate, reliable data to gleen through. And I've NEVER been embarrassed at the range when another shooter asked me to show how it all works and the unit just sat on the bench flashing a flatline display ERROR! ERROR!

It's a shame that even though you could pony up the dough, Oehler doesn't sell them anymore. Sometimes they're listed on ebay.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have checked loads on others in the past, but yeah I head the Oehler's are no more? Wonder what happened? Who would service them if you needed it?

Thanks for replies. Some say the F1 basic model is all you need to get good reads on speed, I need nothing fancy, but am not opposed to buying a quality product for more, so what are other 'options' to the 35P does anyone know/care to comment? Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler does not sell the model 35P anymore. Some said it's cause their printer supplier went belly up. They still sell the model 43PBL and all the high dollar industrial stuff.

They also still service all equipment with the Oehler name on it. And their customer service guy, Jamer Bohls is still working. They just don't sell the 35P anymore. Cripes, it's not like they went out of business!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the money, the Chrony F1 is pretty good.
Not as good as the high end of the market, but then, they only cost about $50 - $60.
JMHO.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I would look for a good used Oehler 35; they're available if your patient. I bought one a couple years ago (used) and am very happy with it. Yes, they still service them.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote