THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I need a LESS temperature sensative powder for my 22-250.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a LESS temperature sensative powder for my 22-250.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got into coyote hunting 4 years ago with my 22-250. I tried several powders (IMR-4064, Win. 760, 4895s) and evenually settled on H-380. It gave by far the best accuracy and good velocities, ie.3700 fps. w/55 grain bullets in 90 degree plus temps. Well about a year ago, I noticed that my velocities would fall off by as much as 150fps. when the temperature would go down 25 degrees or so. Also noticed that the point of impact was going up and down with the temps. This past weekend, I missed 3 chip shots on coyotes at around 100 yards. I did get 3 more dogs and a bobcat but the kills were less than impressive. The temperature was in the upper 30's to upper 40's. The kills looked like something that was shot with a 222 or 223 instead of a 22-250.(lots of jumping around and flopping, even on the cat, instead of intant death which I am accustomed to with the 22-250. My buddy and I talked about the probability of the H-380 being temp sensative and might be causing a problem with much lower velocities.

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what powder one would recommend to solve this crisis? I hunt in deep south Texas where the temperature will be 110 degrees in July/August and possibly in the 20's in January/February, like it was this past weekend.

P.S. When I last sighted in the rifle it was around 70 degrees.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most ball powders, H380 is pretty temperature sensitive.

For a 22-250 my first choice for a temperature tolerant powder would be Varget. I live in CA with similar temperatures as you are mentioning.
Just so happens Varget is the most accurate in one of my 22-250 rifles, while H 4895 shoots the tightest groups in the other.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I use H380 in my 22-250 and don't find that much of a difference. I sight in during the fall, usually around 50F. I did a lot of long range practice as well at these temps establishing hold over with my balistic plex reticle. Dec 28, I shot a coyote at 500 yards using the same ballistic plex line in my scope (my 500 yard line) and dropped a nice sized male coyote, POI was dead on and the temp that day was about -20F.

Perhaps it has something to do with humidity, or your elevation? (Just a guess!)

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget has always given me great speed and accuracy. Benchmark is also worth a try.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rae, try RL 15. I think Varget would be ok IF you are not loading max. I would be leary of Varget w/ hot loads in the heat. Varget also seems to vary greatly from lot to lot.
For more info go over to 6mmbr.com

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naaaahhhh, I've used H380 for years and the difference in velocity ain't gonna make a shot where the animal jumps around versus one where it drops in its tracks. Bad shot, bad hit. Don't blame the tool.
I've used 22-250 cartridges loaded in 90+ temps in Okla and shot in 30degree temps in Wy and the difference in POI wasn't that bad.
If you think it's the powder tho, you'd be better off switching powder to one of the ones that are supposed to be temp insensitive but you're probably gonna lose some accuracy.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sincerely doubt temperature swing is problematic for any of those listed within the temp. range your describing .

However if it concerns you try the New IMR 8208 XBR Powder as it's supposed to eliminate Temp concerns .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, H380 was named, because Mr. Hodgon himself found that 38 grains of this new ball powder he was working with shot great in his 22-250, I'd call Hodgon, and talk to their ballistics department, (Dave) to get real professional advice and solutions.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lately played with some Benchmark in my 22.250s...

surprisingly, the starting loads listed by Hodgdon have proven the most accurate in all 5 of them, with all bullet weights..

and they have beaten the accuracy of any other loads I have used in them...and I have some pretty darn good loads.

temp sensitivity is not a real problem where I live. but benchmark will satisfy your concerns on that subject and give you some accurate loads along the way...

so ya can't lose!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I get temperature swings during the times I'm shooting my 22-250 from 105 to 25 and have found great results in Varget. It has tested out consistently on the Chronograph in those temperature swings as far as velocity and grouping.

I did originally use H-380, doesn't everyone start with this one?, and moved on to Varget more for the accuracy increase than the temperature sensitivity issues.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well here it is 1 degree out and iam freezing my butt off but what else to do today have tried 5 different powers today and all the results are almost the same 3031,4250.4350,h380 and varget in 2 cal 223 and 243 all are shooting close to 400 ftps slower than when i shot at 42 degrees last month all loads were cronagraphed both times my shooting buddy and i have gotten the same results last winter these equated to drops or 3 inches with the 223s and 31/2 inches with the 243s at 100 yds

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
If I remember correctly, H380 was named, because Mr. Hodgon himself found that 38 grains of this new ball powder he was working with shot great in his 22-250, I'd call Hodgon, and talk to their ballistics department, (Dave) to get real professional advice and solutions.

Jerry

Yes, and he will recommend Hodgdon's new IMR 4007 SSC.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbill0690:
well here it is 1 degree out and iam freezing my butt off but what else to do today have tried 5 different powers today and all the results are almost the same 3031,4250.4350,h380 and varget in 2 cal 223 and 243 all are shooting close to 400 ftps slower than when i shot at 42 degrees last month all loads were cronagraphed both times my shooting buddy and i have gotten the same results last winter these equated to drops or 3 inches with the 223s and 31/2 inches with the 243s at 100 yds

Well Bigbill it is 16 degrees here as of now. I am going outside and shoot a few to see what they chrono today. Despite what a few others have posted, I too know the velocity falls off pretty bad with all of them but I still think H-380 might be even worse. Lower velocity = change in impact point and less than spectacular kills with .223 cal. bullets.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget is simply fantastic in my 22/250.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBill, you are my hero! Smiler I don't think I have ever done any "for fun" shooting at that kind of temps. Did you see many Pdogs?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Ahab:

How's things in Oracle. You guys got any quail left? Last time I was in your neck of Arizona, it seems the Tucson boys had pretty well shot most of the birds, LOL!!

I have not tried IMR4007, do you have any reports for us?

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR XBR!

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
With the drastic temperate changes here I have summer loads, and winter loads. In the summer H335 or BLC(2). In the Winter, IMR4064. My summer loads may disappear soon as 4064 seems to really fit the bill year round. I can hunt from 0 to 100 degrees.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten to post my chrony test back in January.

Much to my surprise, the H-380 did NOT loose as much velocity as I had thought. The numbers were down by only appox. 75 to 80 feet per second. That could have been due to a cleaner barrel since I did clean it some 10 shots prior. The point of impact was low appox. 1/2" at 100 yards, if even that. I have had point of impact change in the summer time due to humidity and mirage conditions. So my conclusion is it did not make that much difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget. Virtually the same burn rate as 4064, less temp sensitive

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my 22-250, Banchmark and Varget are the best powders w/55gn Sierra's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Varget. Great speed and accuracy.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget is the only way to go for temperature sensitivity. Great accuracy in 220 swift too!

Benchmark is my second pic.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR-type stick propellants are generally the least temperature sensitive.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
Much to my surprise, the H-380 did NOT loose as much velocity as I had thought. ... only appox. 75 to 80 feet per second. ...it did not make that much difference.
Always nice to see what is going on for yourself.

If you have a Termite Food stock, that could have made a large difference in Point-of-Impact due to changing moisture content(aka WARPING).

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Always nice to see what is going on for yourself.

If you have a Termite Food stock, that could have made a large difference in Point-of-Impact due to changing moisture content(aka WARPING).[/QUOTE]

Hotcore,
No chance of that, the barrel IS floated and the action pillar bedded.
I think I am going to try some Varget again.