THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Mini-14 vs. Kel-Tec vs. Rossi vs. NEF vs. Hi-Point

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-14 vs. Kel-Tec vs. Rossi vs. NEF vs. Hi-Point
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any idea which one could be considered the best/worse low budget plinker/hunter???

The mini doesn't really fall into the "budget" catagory. Accuracy is doubtful at best.

The Kel-Tec folds up, that's cool but... how can that be good for accuracy? I like the fold-up intergal forarm/bipod and the storage in the stock too.

Plenty has already been said about the NEF and I think you either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. I want a black one and a laminated one and maybe one of those survivor stocks with the pistol grip and storage compartment in the stock. As for bbls., maybe one of each!!!

The Rossi feels a little looser/cheaper than the NEF but the cost is a little cheaper because you can get a combo barrell package over the counter with-out sending it in to the factory for a barrel fit. Don't know much about this one, are they accurate??? A .223 and 12g. would be a fine choice for a combo package.

What about the 'ol 9mm carbine thing from Hi-Point, I havent heard too much bad press about them.

What do ya think??? Ever shoot any of these models???

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a bummer. This is the first time I have ever been SKUNKED on a topic I have posted. Anyone???????

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll talk to ya, pal. I love the NEF, I have several. This time of year I find myself using the NEF SPORTSTER .22 mag. every time I go to the woods. This time of year is "target of opportunity season". I have taken squirrels, rabbits, 'yotes, fox and grouse all in 1 outing. I find the .22mag capable of taking all cleanly, with good shot placement and range discipline.
As far as the ROSSI, I have 1 in .410/.357 and my brother has the 20ga./.243. His is simply amazing, it groups Federal 100 gr,s.p. at an honest 1" avg. I saw him kill a nice buck this season with it at over 300 paces.
My little .357 is about a 2.5" grouper at 100 yds. which ain't half bad for the cartridge. I like the balance of the Rossi a little better than the NEF, just a little,lol.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hi-Point has gotta be the ugliest, cheapest looking gun I own. That said, it also will digest absolutely any 9mm I feed it with great accuracy. Mine came with a cheapo 4x scope on it and is way more accurate than my Mini-14. But it isn't as accurate as my NEF .17 HMR with a 4x Nikon Monarch on it.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3 Mini-14's I've owned all do pretty good work if you feed them good ammo--1.5" @ 100 yards with handloads. Both 60 grain Sierra HP's and 69 grain Matchkings mated with WW-748 powder yield these results pretty reliably. If you use the 3 bucks a box/20 FMJ ball rounds......well, they're a good source of brass for reloading.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you own a pistol consider a Mech-tech conversion. I put one on my Delta Elite and have a hard time reloading fast enough as it is the first thing my friends grab when they come over to shoot

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Hi-Point 9mm and it is about as cheap as it goes...but to let you know I did keep it over my Ruger PC carbine. It's favorite load is any 147 grain standard or +p round (gold dots and golden sabers mostly) but otherwise it will only choke on the Wolf 115 grain military ball ammo occasionally. I've used the Gold Dot's on deer before too, works really well at close range (I just pretend I've got a bow and arrow).
Mini-14 should be something I drool over, but they just don't cut it for me.
Kel-tec's new one looks promising.
NEF's are just a little too heavy, but mine is in 45-70, Rossi's are a bit lighter/trimmer. I like them a lot, but that hammer tears up your thumb after a good range session.
One more that isn't mentioned...Winchester 94? See them new for $300, can't beat that in any caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

NEF's are just a little too heavy....

I gotta agree with this. It sure does help though keeping things steady on the bench.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote