THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .204 velocity from 20, 22 and 24 inch barrels

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 velocity from 20, 22 and 24 inch barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have real world velocities from any of these barrel lenghts? Thinking about putting one together for a calling rifle, but wanted some what of a light weight rifle.
Thanks,

Posts: 30 | Location: mitchell,sd | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help w/the above lengths but here is real world numbers from a CZ 204 varmint 25.6 inch bbl.

32 gr factory hornady measured at 10 feet from muzzle.

10 shot string averaged 3973 fps
high was 4020 and low was 3931.

Velocities measured w/Oehler 35p.

Hope this helps.

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was pretty impressed with the .204Ruger and its velocities, but seriously doubt that I would be approaching the maximums. I have a .22-250Rem. that'll shoot much faster than the 3500fps I reload to, but simply put, my best accuracy comes at 3500fps with the 52gr. HPs. My .222Rem.Mag. is the same story. It's case is the same as that used by the .204Ruger. Once I found where I get my best accuracy that's where I stayed. Usually it's around 3200fps, not that close to its top end. I've seen several loads for the .204Ruger around 4000fps but doubt you'd be using them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal my friend I think your off target on this one as a "generalization". Your right for sure that some guns find the best accuracy in moderate loads, but then again a lot of high intensity rounds don't. My Tactical .20's 2 most accurate loads have a 33 grainer right at or just over 4,200fps and a 40 grainer at 3,900ish, both right at the top.
I converse with a lot of dedicated sub.22 caliber shooters and while common sense says don't get foolish, a lot of the .20's do real well with upper level loads.
As a point of interest read this months "Shooting Times", the author shot a CZ American with a barrel just under 22 inches for 4,100+ with the 32 grain factory load and little tiny groups (in fact I'm a bit skeptical of the groups) they were dinky.
There does seem to be a lot of disparity in what folks are getting for velocity but we all know barrels, temperature etc accounts for a bunch. It is indeed a great caliber and as a dedicated sub caliber shooter I'd recommend everybody work with a .20 before they judge their capabilities.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello montdoug,

Yeah, you're obviously right in that some calibers seem to do their most accurate work right at the top end. Benchrest shooters are proof of this. I've recently purchased two SS Hart barrels for a couple of my varmint rifles. Whew, boy they don't come cheap! I hope to get longer life from my recently purchased ones. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote