New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should i trim my 204 brass.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some once shot brass for my 204 and want to try some loads. I have lee trimmers for all the calibers I load for exept the 204 and i dont have calipers, yeah i know i should and have caught some heck for it already,so i dont know if they are to long, Is it safe to load the once shot brass?

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You can pick up a cheap pair of calipers for $20, you really need a pair. And without them, you can't answer the question.

Full length sized once fired brass does grow after firing and sizing, but how much it grows depends on the dimensions of the virigin brass, your chamber, what type of action the rifle is built on, and the sizing dies.

There are some gun/cartridge combinations that grow enough on sizing to require sizing every time you size them. Get the caliper and find out if thats the case with your rifle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im going to the gun shop tonight, hopefully they have a pair, thanks

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I bought a really nice pair of calipers on Ebay for nearly nothing. You've just got to have them if your going to reload.

Good luck.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pair and so far all the brass i have resized has been below max case length.

loud pipes save lives