Find
Notify
Tools

243 WSSM ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
A friend has expressed an interest in this caliber for coyotes and other predators. All I know is what I've read and heard, which is mostly not favorable. I would like to hear from both sides as to the good and bad of it.

What say you?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the 243 WSSM in a heavy barreled Winchester 70 coyote. I got it cheap ($399). I owned it for a couple of months, bought brass, dies reloaded for it and shot it about 60 rounds or so and sold it. Its an ugly cartridge. Due to the steep shoulder angle it didn't feed smooth in the coyote. When reloading, at least for the coyote, you had to be sure to screw down your decapping/sizing die to where the press "broke over" or else you could not get the bolt to close on the round in the chamber. I didn't get published velocity with my reloads. I didn't get the accuracy I expected with the coyote. Maybe I'm being unfair in my evaluation.
Would I ever own one again. Perhaps. I have the dies and brass. If I could buy a single shot, cheap, in a Cooper, a #1 or a highwall I might be tempted. Probabably another 240 weatherby or a 6mm-06 would be more tempting.
I think I would do a tactical 20 or a 204 ruger with 40 to 50 grainers before I would do the WSSM for predators and varmints.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought one. With factory ammo, we had to beat the bolt open with a 2x4. Seems the pressure was way too high.
He sold it.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compared to a standard .243 Winchester, the cases and ammunition are much more expensive (and harder to find), the cartridge may exhibit some feeding problems, and the magazine will hold two less cartridges. Velocities are similar, as are action lengths. All of which makes it difficult to justify the WSSM.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wssm's are a joy to own and shoot. The super short action is addicting both as a varminter and target shooting sessions. The case shoulder angle is not as steep as the Ackley Improved cases or the 45 degree shoulder of the .416 Rigby. My wssm's feed smooth.

I partial neck size and anneal every couple reloads and have no case problems. In fact, case life is extreme. Accuracy is .5 MOA.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first WSSM was a 25 in Browning A-Bolt Medallion. I have over 500 thru the tube and its been .4-.5 (3 shot) grouper w. a lot of different bullets.

I got the same rifle in 223WSSM. Shoots as well. But I've only used 60gr Partitions and 60gr BT's.

No brass is cheap!!! I had the same issues with the dies not reforming the shoulder enough -- had them ground a bit and never had a problem since.

IMHO YOU MUST ANNEAL THE WSSM LINE. Annealing after every 2nd shot I can get 8 reloads of hot ones! No annealing with hot loads I see cracks in the neck after 5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my .243 WSSM. A-Bolt Varmint Stalker. .5 MOA gun.

I've shot prarie dogs, coyotes, mule deer with the rifle. A friend has killed cow elk with the 85 grain TSX. He shot it in the shoulder bone broadside on purpose to see penetration. It exited.

If I could only have one rifle in my safe, this would be it.

I handload for it and it doesn't seem to be fussy. I did have some feeding issues that I corrected by changing the angle of the little ears on the magazine. I was trying to seat the bullets too long. If you keep them to the factory length, feeding will not be an issue. I have no problem getting published velocities with W-760. I use that powder for all the bullets I shoot. The gun will be accurate at the factory ammo COAL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I love my .243 WSSM. A-Bolt Varmint Stalker. .5 MOA gun.

I've shot prarie dogs, coyotes, mule deer with the rifle. A friend has killed cow elk with the 85 grain TSX. He shot it in the shoulder bone broadside on purpose to see penetration. It exited.

If I could only have one rifle in my safe, this would be it.

I handload for it and it doesn't seem to be fussy. I did have some feeding issues that I corrected by changing the angle of the little ears on the magazine. I was trying to seat the bullets too long. If you keep them to the factory length, feeding will not be an issue. I have no problem getting published velocities with W-760. I use that powder for all the bullets I shoot. The gun will be accurate at the factory ammo COAL.

I started w. W760 and had good results. Found IMR4350 and IMR4007SSC even better. If you have it lying around give these powders a shot.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Anything the 243 WSSM will do, the 243 Win or 6mm Rem will do. Granted, the 243 Win falls a tad short on velocity, but the deer or varmints will not notice the 100 fps or so difference.

Where the WSSM's really shine is that they are short enough to fit the standard AR15 platform. Mine feeds flawlessly and accuracy is moa regularly & less on a good day.

Cam-over is necessary when resizing cases, as has been stated and a good case lube is highly recommended.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote