THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Model 700 VLS or Model 40-XRBR KS

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 700 VLS or Model 40-XRBR KS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with Remington's Model 700 VLS or their Model 40-XRBR KS from the custom shop? I'm looking to buy a heavy barreled .223 or 22-250 and was wondering how they shoot and if the extra price of the Model 40 is worth it.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Don't know about the laminate stock version, but the FVSS version that a buddy of mine has is a real tack driver. I have heard stories that the synthetic stock does better than the laminate unless you have a glass bedding job done.
The only disagreement I have with any of the factory 22 centerfires is how badly the breeze blows them around. If you buy one in 223, it isn't even hardly worth the effort to reload because the factory fodder is inexpensive and pretty accurate.
Never had a 40x so I can't comment on that part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro, for what you get, I don't think the 40X's are worth the money. I know some will disagree, but I really think they are just a dressed up 700, with a few semi-custom touches thrown in, all of which you could do yourself for less money. I do think the chances of you getting a better Remington barrel are higher with the 40X, as it's my understanding that the pick of the crop goes to the custom shop. However, I've seen a lot of VLS's that were great shooters, for a lot less money, money you could put into optics or improvements. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Jethro,
I have a VLS in .243 Winchester, and it's a tack-driver! I replaced the trigger with a Jewell, floated the barrel & pillar-bedded the action. It's my favorite rifle.
Regards, George. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My two varmint barrel Remington 700's, a .308 and a 7mm Rem mag, both shoot roughly 1/2" groups with good handloads pretty routinely. Sometimes I can't seem to get 'em under 3/4", but I attribute those groups to shooter error! They both have the HS Precision stocks and aside from a little trigger tuning are exactly the way they came from the factory. I don't know if a 40X would beat that level of accuracy or not. The 40X can come set up for competition shooting though, if that's what you want to do. Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 40xbks in 6mm rem averages under 1/2"(5 shot groups) with it's favorite loads.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your money on a new 40X. You can take a vs you want a syn stock or vls if you want a wood laminate or a classic for solid walnut. Have it bedded/pillared,put a shilen ss select match barrel, have the action trued, rework the trigger and you will have less in it than a 40x and it will be custom gun built to your spec's.Here's mine, little more than 40x but it has a Jewell HVR trigger and a muzzle brake in 22BR

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stanmyers/brfrontview.jpg

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stan, Not following this post, but I noticed you have a B/L scope of that .22br. Is that the 8-32 power, if so how do you like it???

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes its an old Balvar, but a 12x32x40. Very bright and clear.

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. One more question though. I think I'm going to go with the VS or VLS in the 22-250. Bruce mentioned that he heard the synthetic stock does better than the laminate. Can anyone confirm this? I ask this because I don't plan to customize this rifle too much. Just want a very good shooting rifle out of the box.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jethro:
Does anyone have any experience with Remington's Model 700 VLS or their Model 40-XRBR KS from the custom shop? I'm looking to buy a heavy barreled .223 or 22-250 and was wondering how they shoot and if the extra price of the Model 40 is worth it.

I haven't had a new 40x for abut 10 yrs but of the ones I do own they shoot alot better than a factory 700. You receive a test target with the 40x and they shoot 2 5 shot groups and give you the load that was used. My 223 groups are in the .2's as with the 222 and 6mm Rem. Alot has been said about the new 40x but if I was to get one I would call Rem custom shop and ask what are the groups sizes with the cal I wanted and go from there. I've yet to own a Rem 700 that shoot right out of the box in the 2's fay in and day out except for a 40x. best of luck. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Senderos and 700 VS have a Bell & Carlson composite stock with an aluminum bedding block and a free floated barrel. I have a B&C stock on my Howa and the rifle has become an honest 1/2" shooter for the first three or four shots (sporter contour barrel and stock). The Bell & Carlso stocks are very nice, and I think a bone stock 700 VS will more than meet your expectations.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Have both, the 260 sucks in the VLS (Remington doesn't make it anymore in the caliber) Sent the VLS to a great gunsmith and had a custom barrel in a different caliber put together and it shoots great,end of story- Get a used short action 700 and send it off to a very good gunsmith and have it tuned,squared and cleaned up with a good custom barrel and never look back! It will cost you less and you will have a better shooting rifle.Good Luck