THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Steyr Mannlicher Classic in 6.5x55

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Mannlicher Classic in 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently ordered a new Steyr Mannlicher Classic in 6.5x55 with select wood. Always wanted a full-stocked gun that would shoot accurately. It is on its way. Biebs will post pictures of the wood, I hope. I keep ya'll informed on accuracy etc.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs is off to Africa as we speak. It may be a few weeks before he can post pics. If anyone else wants to post pics for me, let me know and I'll forward my pics of the wood to you for posting. I'm just an idiot with posting pics on AR.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one of them too.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
mdstewart's mannlicher.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That is some fine wood grain there.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see you got them up already. Nice stuff!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Oh, I see you got them up already. Nice stuff!

Yeah Jon, I am really looking forward to that rifle. I always wanted a Steyr, but felt the wood was marginal. So I was invited to attend an open house at the new Steyr facilities at Bessemer, AL and had a chance to spend a lot of time with the executives of Steyr. The CEO hand selected that piece of wood for me. Originally I was going to have a 7x64 built, but I changed my mind and decided to go with a true classic, the 6.5x55 Swede.

A full stocked rifle that will shoot sub moa, now that will be fun. I think I'll top it off with a Zeiss 3x9x40. I seem to be stuck on that scope.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I think you'll find the Steyr the most accurate rifle you've owned. Great choice.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Jon, Yeah. I had some free time on my hands and you were busy playing amongst the plains game. So, I figured why not help the guy out.

Mike: Will you be keeping the stock as it is? I'd be really tempted to fill the grain. Either way, that is some special wood there. Those Steyr folks really went over the top. Nice caliber choice as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Jon, Yeah. I had some free time on my hands and you were busy playing amongst the plains game. So, I figured why not help the guy out.

Mike: Will you be keeping the stock as it is? I'd be really tempted to fill the grain. Either way, that is some special wood there. Those Steyr folks really went over the top. Nice caliber choice as well.

I plan to have the wood worked over so that it has a finish similar to the high end Merkel shotguns. I'll have it filled and a hand rubbed oil finish put on it. Thanks. I think I'll have some fun with that caliber. It may become my go to whitetail rifle

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Are you planning to use a bit of Alkanet root to get that old classic reddish colour?

Nice wood!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A fine plan.
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

I plan to have the wood worked over so that it has a finish similar to the high end Merkel shotguns. I'll have it filled and a hand rubbed oil finish put on it. Thanks. I think I'll have some fun with that caliber. It may become my go to whitetail rifle

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Steyr once.It was my very first rifle,a gift.Dont get the plastic bottom metal whatever you do.It is a special rifle in that it is very different from all the others.The thing I liked most about it was the steel-I found it very good.Good luck with it.BTW,I sometimes still think about it and where it is today.I would never sell another rifle that accompanied me on many memorable hunts.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite rifles is a Rem 700 classic in 6.5X55 swede, its just a great whitetail round, accurate, low recoil, and a ton of bullets to hand load. I like the 129gr Hornady spire point for deer, have used everything from 120gr up to 140gr and all have completely penetrated deer except a 140gr speer hot core. That Steyr with the mannlicher stock is HOT, nice piece of wood, im jealous, good luck with her...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a text from Einar Hoff at Steyr yesterday. My rifle is in Bessemer, AL at the distribution center awaiting my pick up. I'll get her next week. Range results and pics to follow.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots as good as it looks you've got a dandy!! My current 6.5 is the 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher/Schoenauer in a 1903 M/S but I had a couple 6.5 Swede's, one fine cartridge. If I was in the market for a new deer rifle I believe I would be right where you are, rifle and cartridge.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Classic in a 222 and it is a fun gun to shoot and very accurate.
I also have the Pro hunter in 6.5x55 real nice rifle and again , accurate and both rifles have really nice factory triggers. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had Herbert at Steyr Arms mount my Steyr quick release mounts along with a Zeiss Conquest in 3x9x40. Will shoot it in over the weekend and will then post pictures of the rifle and range results.

This one is a real honey, and the regulation card that came with the rifle is phenomenal. This rifle will be shooting Norma 156gr Oryx, which is what the irons were regulated to.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More