Find
Notify
Tools

.204 Ruger information
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
So I took the plunge this week and ordered myself a new Ruger heavy barreled varmit rifle in .204 Ruger. I get to experienced load devolopment again, a fun thing, but am wondering if any other shooter out there have used this SPECIFIC rifle/caliber combo and what bullet weight(s) did you find worked the ebst? It seems the most common bullets used in this caliber are 32 gr. and/or 40 gr, tho other weights are certainly available too.
I won't have the rifle in hand for another week or so, but am thinking ahead on the reloading/buying some factory ammo once it gets here.
Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I just got my 204 back from the gunsmith yesterday with a new barrel put on it.

However, my previous barrel really like the 39 grain Sierra Blitzkings. I've got a pile of the 34 grain Dogtown bullets that I'm going to try in the new barrel once it has been broken in. If I can't find a load, I'll go back to the Sierra's.

Good luck!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a Ruger, but my Savage really likes the 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings. 32 gr. don't work as good.

Posts: 35 | Location: Paris America | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
39 grain Sierra's or 40 grain VMAX bullets are outstanding in the 204's I own.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the twist rate of the Ruger is. My CZ will shoot the 32gr Vmax into 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds on a regular basis. The 40gr Vmax are not quite as accurate.

I have found good results loading the 39gr Sierra Blitz kings and H335. I also got pretty good results with the 40gr Vmax as well.

I also bought the 35gr Berger flat base bullets but have yet to try them out.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My factory A-bolt would not shoot 40gr Vmax worth a darn but shoots 39gr Blitz kings into a clover leaf. I like Benchmark but IMR8208 works well too.

The Custom Reloading Tools 37gr HP shoots well with both powders too.

Haven't tried any other bullets yet.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had 2 ruger 204's I loaded 28gr of Varget with the 39 blitz in the CZ Varmint, with my other it likes the 40gr nosler ballistic tip with 27gr of varget. There does seem to be an amazing variety of bullet and powder combos that shoot very well in this cartridge. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the odd one, I've settled on the 45 gr Hornady soft point. Mostly for practical reasons, it works well with powder I already keep in stock, and it will be a coyote gun and I figure the heavier bullet would be an advantage. I shot all the factory weight 32,40, and 45gr bullets and all are accurate out of my LH Ruger Hawkeye.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad has been using his Ruger in Factory Benchrest shoots, and he uses the 32gr Sierra BK with 29grs of Varget, and it shoots fantastic. It's the most consistent bullet and powder he has used, and has even won a match with it.

The bullet jumps .125, but it doesn't seem to care.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote