New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem.760 in .223
 Login/Join

<Hutt>
posted
Has anyone ever owned or shot one of these rifles in this caliber and how does it perform?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutt:
Has anyone ever owned or shot one of these rifles in this caliber and how does it perform?

Hutt/ It has been years....25..since I heard of anyone having one of these...they were not a good combo and would sit on the shelf forever...the only one I got any report on was having extraction problems and was used with cheap military ammo for shooting vermin around a animal farm and worked for that...the man never loaded or shot a paper and was happy once all the gunk was cleaned from the gun....seems he was left handed and liked the gun due to recoil and cheap ammo someone got him....wish I had first hand knowledge but I'm a bolt man....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
Murray Burnham (makes the game calls) used one a lot for predator calling in the Texas Hill Country and seemed to like it. That is the only person I have heard of using one. He seems to be a hunter who uses a rifle as a tool, and doesn't have much of an interest in rifles beyond that. But he is a real varmint killer.

I have never seen one in .223. I have one in .35 Rem. which is extremely accurate (in spite of a poor trigger) so I see no reason the .223 should not shoot well.

<Slamfire>
posted
Well the 760 really ain't the rifle for a handloader, not enough extraction power. But .223 ammo is cheap so who needs to handload. Some of these rifles shoot pretty darned good, but some of them don't. The barrel doesn't screw into the receiver but into a barrel extention. In some cases this thing is too loose a connection for fine accuracy. I had one in .270 that would shoot 1 1/2" groups all day long. Since you provide the power to operate the action the 760/7600 ought to hold up better than the 74x series, they are pretty slam bang.

<Hutt>
posted
Am I correct in assuming the 760 rem. is a pump action?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes the Remington 760 or the newer 7600 version is a pump.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a 760 in 223 either but our Pa deer hunting group has 5 760's or 7600's (depending on how old we are). A 308, two 06's and two 270's. They all shoot and function very well and all have fair triggers on them. They are great eastern woods rifles but judging by the 760 trigger it would not be my first choice in a long range varmit caliber.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
Ya, probably so but I saw one at a estate sale for $300 and thought it might have a nitch somewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What....$300 bucks! H#ll I would have bought it too. Good buy.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote