Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 222 Rem or 6mm PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
safari_hunter...

I voted for the .222. I don't have direct experience with the 6mm PPC, but comparing it to the 6mms that I do have experience with, the .222 is the winner in my opinion for the following reasons:

1. The range you have listed is nearly the ideal range for the .222. It is EASILY capable of 300+ yard colony varmint shots.

2. More pleasant to shoot. By this, I mean recoil is less and you can watch the "hits" in your scope -- not to say it CAN'T be done with a 6mm, but it certainly is not as easy, especially at high power. Let's face it...a large part of the fun of varminting is watching the demise of the varmint. Of course I mean that in the most humane way...watching them crawl off and die a slow death is not fun, but seeing them launch into the air in multiple pieces is very satisfying. Hopefully PETA is not reading this -- they wouldn't understand.

3. Less heat generated = more shooting before needing to pause while the rifle cools. If you only have one varmint rifle, this is really important; even if you have more than one, it's still a desirable quality.

4. Cheaper to shoot. In my book, not really a reason to choose one over another, but it is an added benefit.

If your max was 450-500 yards, then the 6mm would be the obvious choice, but for your purpose, the .222 is certainly the choice I'd make.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako in 6PPC that I bought to replace a stolen Sako in 222. It is AWESOME! I have never looked back. Mild to shoot, accurate, bucks the wind very well out to 250 yards.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari_hunter: I currently have and Hunt with 5 Varmint Rifles in caliber 222 Remington. This caliber is inherently accurate and very easy on barrels. I have killed all manner of Varmints out to 400 yards and rarely a bit farther with them! I am talking Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels, Badgers, Porcupines and the like. With good bullets the 222 will be lethal to 400 yards on virtually any Varmint I have Hunted. I have used the 222 for Varminting since at least 1965! Going on 40 years at least. I love the caliber - did I say that?

In addition the 222 is easy on barrel heating, low in recoil (ease of spotting hits or misses), economical to reload for and quality brass lasts forever! I would not hesitate an instant to choose the 222 Remington for your needs.

A top quality barrel and a good BR quality chambering job and I virtually guarantee you will be happy with the accuracy of the 222 to 300+ yards!

Having said that I am into my second year with an extremely accurate heavy barreled factory stock Sako bolt action single shot Rifle in 6mm PPC! I just love this Rifle and caliber! I could not be happier with it. I have not done any really long range Varminting with it as yet (500+ yards to me is real long range by the way) so no experiences out that far yet. I am using a 68 gr. bullet and more powder than in my 222's so the recoil is somewhat more but still pretty manageable.

Just taking a WAG here but the 222 Remington should have more barrel life in your expensive custom barrel, which may enter into your thinking and planning. Remember there are some top quality manufacturers that make 222 Remington brass these days.

Good luck with whichever you choose. Personally I could not decide between the two so I did not enter your poll as yet!

Something may pop into my head later to get me to decide one way or the other!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the varmints I have here the 222, nice as it is, does not have enough power for 300 yd shots.

Surmising that you handload consider that one can load a cartridge down but not up beyond it's capacity. Reduced loads are quite accurate at lower pressures as well. For varmints I load the Swift and 243 down when appropiate. Yet with full power loads they have at least a 100 yds on the 222.

That argument is not all that practical however when there is a lot of shooting such as at small rodents.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I voted for the PPC, my personal choice would be a 6BR. Another reason for this, or the PPC, you can get great barrels from benchrest shooters who take them off. They are PLENTY good for varmints.

posted Hide Post
If you are shooting rabbits, feral cats, foxes, and similarly-sized vermin, the .222 Rem. will work fine.

If you are shooting larger vermin, the 6mmPPC would do better.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
The answer here to me would revolve around weather or not this rifle would be used for high volume shooting. The 6mm bullets will be a lot more expensive over the long haul if this would end up being a high volume gun. If not, the PPC has the edge.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Safari Hunter - I have had a 6PPC for many years and it has weeded out a lot of problem varmints. I shoot a 69gr Berger VLD at 3250 fps. It has a high BC (.321) and maintains good energy out to 300 yards and bucks the wind very well. It�s a tough little cartridge...

6 PPC performance info with a 69gr Berger VLD, a 200 Yard Zero and a 10 MPH crosswind:

300 Yard Performance

2364 fps...856 ft lbs of energy...6.3" drop...8.5" windage

400 Yard Performance

2107 fps...680 ft lbs of energy...18.8" drop...15.9" windage

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote