New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets talk about cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Before I visited international hunting chats in the internet I never heard about a lot of cartridges like 257 Roberts, 416 taylor, 45-110 etc.

Yesterday my gunsmith called me and told me he has a rifle for me for fox and coon hunting I was looking for. Its an terrible barrel eater but in his opinion its the hottest one in this caliber. Its topped with a S&B 12x56 and the price ist about 900 USD.

The caliber ist 5,6x61 S.E. vom Hofe

I want to compare it with ammo like the 220 Swift, 224 Wby 22-250 5,6x50R ..... Any ideas?

I have a list of several other rare calibers I would like to talk about.

Best regards from Germany

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
First things first, the scope is worth the asking price.

Secondly, based on what I read in "cartridges of the World", this is a Swift class cartridge with a .228 bullet diameter. It was originally developed as a varmint/roe deer case, with 77 grain bullets.

For fox and coon, I would not count on keeping the pelts......

As far as a barrel eater, I suppose you'd have to replace the barrel after the first 1500 foxes or so. Is that really a problem? I would rank brass availability and bullet availability (.228?) a much bigger concern than barrel life. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe "Cartridges of the World" also states that it takes a 30" barrel to achieve the published velocities for the cartridge.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you can obtain a supply (100 pcs?) of brass, then go for it.
Barrel burner only if you make it. Watch out for high pressures (=heat=erosion) and you'll be in good shape. Something like 49g of 4350 should get you 3500 fps w/60g under 45k CUP.
IOW, you can either beat the swift both in speed of bullet out the barrel and barrel into landfill, or with that big case you can match the 220 with much less pressure and preserve your barrel for much longer.
And as was said, if you're in the market for a good scope, here's one with a free rifle stuck on it!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

The cartridges is a hot rock and will eat out barrels faster than other cartridges. I'm not sure that the caliber is 228 like the 5,6X52R. Cartridges of the world is not always very right.

Cases should be easy to find in Germany, Walther Gehman had then before and Herr Horneber should be able to help you.

Cheers
/ JOHAN