Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 597 jamming problem
 Login/Join

posted
Purchased a Rem 597 a while ago and once every 5 or so shots a shell fails to eject and jams the action. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if so how did you fix it? I've thought of getting a new extractor from Volquartson but wonder if it will fix my problem.also thinking of getting a target hammer from the same place. They claim it lightens the pull. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

"I'd rather be the hammer than the nail."

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Here we go again. About one out of three 597's has problems. I don't know what will fix it. You can try the extractor and see.

I wouldn't spend a whole bunch of money on it.
597's also have a failure to feed problem.

My best advice is to get rid of it.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
Bad news, seems to be a common problem. Good news mine was easily fixed. Called rem customer service they sent me a new ejector and metal magazine and mine is shooting pretty well. Jams maybe 3 or 4 times a day versus they 3 or 4 per magazine like it did before.

3-7-77