New
Find
Notify
Tools

M77 MKII Twist Rate?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I searched but could't find the answer. Can someone tell me what twist rate the Ruger M77 MKII .223 has. Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22Hornet, Do you own a "DEWEY" or some other high quality cleaning rod with a "ball bearing" handle? If so, you can check the twist rate very easily. Put a patch on the rod and start it into the bore. Put a mark on the top of the rod back next to the handle. Now push the rod into the bore until the mark in front of the handle comes up to the top again. MARK THAT SPOT! at the same distance in front of the handle. Measure that distance and you have the twist rate!!! My guess is you will get 16" or 14", more than likely 16! Try it! GHD PS:!!!! After reading my reply I realized you were asking about the .223 not the HORNET! Probaly 14 twist!!!!!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger lists it as a one in twelve twist rate, on their website.
Winchester and Savage are using a one in 9 twist now which will stabilize the 69 to 75 grain match bullets.

They are marginal on the 77 and 80 grain Match bullets. Depends on how much velocity you shoot them at.

Cheers & good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1 in 12 is correct. Heaviest I have tried in mine in 60gr SPs. Wasn't overly impressed with them, but in fairness they were pretty cheap. Have found I get the best accuracy with 55gr V-Max's and Nosler BT's. I have some 60 gr Partitions, but haven't tried them out yet(pricey little buggers!!)

Feral_Goz

Posts: 56 | Location: Australia NSW | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote