THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Charles Daly Mini Mauser vs CZ 527???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Daly Mini Mauser vs CZ 527???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I am thinking about getting a bolt action 7.62x39 and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at the offering from Charles Daly and the offering from CZ. I have looked at their sites and seen the pictures for the public but am wondering how the fit and finish compare in real life. I like the looks of the CD pictures. And I know about the Ruger also. Thanks for any info.

Steve E.............

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve E,

Ouch!! To my way of thinking this is a really tough choice!
I am of the firm opinion they are both worthy. I guess it boils down to: Like a clip fed...CZ! Prefer a magazine fed...Mini Mauser. Prefer a rifle with a factory single-set trigger........CZ! Since you desire a 7.62x39...Well, I suppose if I were deciding---I would go with the Chas. Daly Mini-Mauser.......As a matter of fact, I have ordered and its supposed to arrive Wednesday of this week...Mini Mauser action in the white for a custom rifle chambered for the 6.5x250Savage Ackley Improved....Oh well.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mini-Mauser action for a 6.5x.250 savage....I really want to see it when you get it done!!!

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Hondo
Couple of questions here, can something like a 250 Savage Imp. be put in the Mini Mauser action? Does the bolt face have to be opened up or can it be ordered with a standard size(.473) face? If you don't mind telling, where did your action come from? Info please, please.

Steve E..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve E,

Since I am a dealer/riflesmith most of what I order comes from Jerry's Sports Center out of Forest City, PA.

Glad you asked about the bolt face measurements. They list the mini-mauser actions in the white with bolt faces for the 1.).223--2.)22-250--3.)7.62x39........However, they don't list the 22-250 in their barreled action mini-mausers. When I ordered the action, I queried the sales rep about this same thought...his reply was "if it says 22-250, then thats what it is"(he wasn't being a smartie). So the first thing I do after opening the package is to verify the bolt face and to measure the box magazine for length. Will let you know the results as soon as.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There are some other threads here about the 22-250... The magazine cut-out is too short to go up to a 250-3000 or other bore size without some expensive mods. 22-250 is the max as-is.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
If I would have looked at CD's info a little more I would have seen that the box length is 2.37 and the average loaded round length for a 100 gr. 250 Sav round is about 2.50 So it looks like the bolt face is no problem but the mag box would be. I guess that s@#tcans that idea.

Steve E.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250 in a mini-Mauser was my plan.

Recently received Daly mini-Mausers. Bolt face nominal .480. Magazine 2.37. Not good for 250-3000 plan.

Checking Quickload looks like a 25BR with a load of VV560 and a Sierra 117gr will yield about 2750 fps. Walla !!

Lap bolt lugs and square boltface and front ring to bore. Then 20-22" Shilen barrel in a very light weight and I'll see if I can put 3 rounds into 0.250 at 100 yards.

Anyone else want one?

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally, where are you based out of here in Oregon?

Will be interested in that project.

cheers
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally if you can make a 6.5BR I would be very interested!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wally, where are you based out of here in Oregon?

Will be interested in that project.

cheers
seafire

South of Eugene.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 21" Contender carbine barrel in 6.5x.225 winchester improved (aka. 6.5 JDJ), but I think the BR case on the mini-mauser would give it a little more juice.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Would also be interested in the 6.5 grendel, which should fall in the same energy class. Loaded ammo, brass, and dies can also be bought cheap at Midway. Anything 6.5 tends to strike my fancy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Brad,
The 6.5 BR sure makes a VERY accurate little cartridge and it sure plays hell with these little Blacktails on the Or Coast.

Aloha, Mark

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve: Back to your original question on CD vs. CZ. My preference would be with the CD. That's not to say that the CZ isn't a quality gun.

The CD seems to be a little smaller and lighter (although I admit that I don't have the actual specs on the two actions).

I do know that the CD design allows a scope to be mounted lower, and the CD stock appears to have a higher cheekpiece, both making for better scope adaptation.

The box-floorplate magazine of the CD (which I also prefer) as opposed to the detachable magazine of the CZ is one of those "Ford vs. Chevy" arguments which is mostly subjective, so take your pick. The floorplate just seems slicker, without the somewhat "tinny" sheet metal of the magazine protruding and tending to snag on things.

The CZ wood that I have personally seen looks very plain with a rather plain finish (however, some CZ owners have commented on rather nice wood); haven't seen the new CD wood in the flesh so don't know if there is an advantage there or not.

I think that either is a nice and fairly economical substitute for a Sako or Kimber mini action. Too bad that other manufacturers don't follow suit with more of these "mini" offerings, particularly in the popular 7.62x39.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote