Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Lapua trumps 257 R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Looks to me like the 6.5 Lapua makes the 257R kinda superfluous. Big Grin Considering 6.5mm bullets from 85gr to 130gr, 9" twist, short action, Lapua brass, sufficient velocity, what's not to like? For those who can't decide short action or long action for the 257R, here's the answer - skip the 257, get a 6.5 Lapua on a short action = better performance with bullets 120 - 130 gr., while useful for the lighter bullets too. Lots of 6.5 bullets to choose from.
KB coffee

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of doing a 6,5 Lapua this year, seems like a great little round.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Don't compare it the Roberts. The Roberts is a classic. One question. What exactly does the Lapua give you over the 260 Rem?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or the 6.5x257....

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Don't compare it the Roberts. The Roberts is a classic. One question. What exactly does the Lapua give you over the 260 Rem?

The 30-40 Craig is also a classic, but then along comes the 308 Winchester. Roll Eyes I suppose you are right - who compares the 30-40 to the 308 anymore.

6.5 Lapua = sharper shoulder, longer neck, straighter walls, Lapua brass, seat the bullets way out if desired without magazine length issues, custom chamber/throat, maybe more.

At least you can count on the Lapua to be thought out well and original, rather than some after thought by a dude named Bob, and a derivitive of a real classic the 7x57. Big Grin

260 is good too - just that 6.5 Lapua seems like a good idea, and different enough to be interesting.

KB

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, if the .257 is a classic, what's that make the much older 6.5x55? Über-classic?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Split the difference and get a 6.5X257 or 6.5X57.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Split the difference and get a 6.5X257 or 6.5X57.

Will it fit in my short action?

Kb

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
What about the 6.5 X 55?

Load it to modern cartridge pressure in a modern bolt acion.

I have an intermediate length Large ring 98 that is begging for a 6.5 X 55 barrel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

So, if the .257 is a classic, what's that make the much older 6.5x55? Über-classic?

Absolutely

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the 257 R. I like it so much that I gave my new Ruger Hawkeye in 257 to my Texas hunting buddy - the one with the great properties to hunt on for deer and hogs. He says he really likes it, so hopefully gets me lots of goodwill, and secures my annual invite to hunt in Texas. Big Grin I'll just discretely sacrifice my better judgment and use the 308 in Texas, until my 6.5 Lapua is finished.

Now he gets the pleasure of the Ruger rings that put ring marks on his scope, and the feeding problems, and the difficulty of finding factory ammo, and the fact that it shoots for chit with the 120 gr bullets, needing 9" twist for that. He gets to stock his shelves with a new set of loading dies, brass, and 25 cal bullets. Heck, I tell him that I loved that rifle, but gave it to him because he's my buddy, and that's what friends are for. Big Grin

Really though, I hope the thing shoots 1" groups for his lifetime, and he shoots hundreds of hogs and deer with it. It's ok with me if it becomes his favorite rifle. I could tell quickly that wasn't its destiny in my hands.

Besides, I have a pretty little Husqvarna 1640 in 6.5x55 that z1r tweeked for me that begs to be shot, and I ain't about to give it away.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
and the fact that it shoots for chit with the 120 gr bullets, needing 9" twist for that.
KB

Mine does fine with heavier bullets and a 10" twist.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine does fine with heavier bullets and a 10" twist.

Congrats !!! Yippie Ky Yay I hope the Hawkeye shoots that good for my Texas buddy too. Your success gives me hope. Big Grin

Uhhh - I looked again at your targets. 117gr & 115gr ain't the same as 120gr. I had similar results. The bullets lighter that 120gr seemed to do ok, but 120gr really fell off in accuracy. Another thing - I've never shot a Sierra bullet through anything that wasn't accurate, but then also I've never pushed the matching of the bullet weight with the twist ratio, except with 280 and the 257 R, and 338 WM.

KB

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy,
I realize the idea of your comparison comes from your own personal trade off of a .257 Roberts for a yet to be built 6.5 Lapua. As others have pointed out the Lapua first has to prove itself against it's .264 cal. brethren such as 6.5 Swede and .260 Rem. I don't know how it would compare to a 6.5 Jap or 6.5 Carcano and I doubt that the comparison would mean much to most of us anyway.

P.S. The .257R was thought up by a guy named Ned not Bob. As I understand it was a carefully considered attempt to make an efficient benchrest caliber. Yea, I know, you were just stirring the pot! stir

Enjoy the Lapua!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Yea, I was being sarcastic about the Bob thing, and stirring the pot is a good thing. Big Grin

My main point was the afterthought. So the 6.5 Lapua is supposedly designed for optimum accuracy. I think we can trust Lapua on that one.

You forgot about the 6.5x54. At least we know the 6.5 Lapua is among good company. There is also the 6.5 Grendel, and the Creedmore.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy,

You are right. The Lapua is much better than the 257 Roberts. You've convinced me. I'm going to sell by Roberts and buy one too so I can get those 3 extra grains and shoot 120s accurately. clap

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Better yet - trade it for a hunt in Texas. Big Grin

Oh - I see - scottfromdalls must mean your are in Texas. If you are nice to me, maybe I'll give you a rifle too. Roll Eyes I always wanted to hunt one of those audads... Hope I spelled that right. Smiler

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
be a man, that Lapua is only for shooting paper at known distances. The Roberts is one of the BEST cartridges for non-dangerous NA game ever chambered in this country. My previous one killed a couple muley and whitetail bucks, a 15+" antelope, and three Elk all over 325. In a 40X stock and HBR taper barrel it was a solid 1/4 mile varmint rifle as well. It just killed, cleanly, everything I ever shot with it. That is as good as it gets.

If you want something different, just say "I want something different...". Just don't expect much real world hunting improvement.

Rich
Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I.S.,
Naturally, I'm impressed - and with scott's targets too, but I'm easy. You understand what I'm doing - stirring the pot to get good discussion. Thanks.
I've never shot at game that far, and having a 6.5 Lapua is not likely to change that, but maybe. Honestly though, if I was shooting at elk that far, or just elk at any distance, I would feel more comfortable with a 264M.
KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So why the Lapua over the Creedmoor? They look the same to me and they are both something different than the norm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I regard the 257R and the 6.5x55 as two different guns. My 6.5 shoots 140 grain bullets very well. MY 257R does not shoot the 120's very well at all, just adequately! I know nothing about the 6.5 Lapua. Can someone post the specifics ie.what makes it so great?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why the Lapua over the Creedmoor? They look the same to me and they are both something different than the norm.

I think the Creedmore won't last long, and the Lapua will survive. I would rather have Lapua brass than Hornady brass. I think the Creedmore was designed specifically for the AR platform, and the Lapua for accuracy in whatever platform, bolt or simi-auto.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the the 6.5x47 which shoots 120gr bullets at 2800 fps? ...and I should ditch my short action Bob, which puts 120gr Noslers into 1/2" at 2990fps?? Wink

BTW, it has a 10" twist. Smiler

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy: Glad you were kidding about "some guy named Bob." Ned Roberts is one of my favorite human beings. I don't know how many times I have re-read "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" and "The Breech-loading Single Shot Rifle."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kabluewy,

You are right. The Lapua is much better than the 257 Roberts. You've convinced me. I'm going to sell by Roberts and buy one too so I can get those 3 extra grains and shoot 120s accurately. clap

quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
Is the the 6.5x47 which shoots 120gr bullets at 2800 fps? ...and I should ditch my short action Bob, which puts 120gr Noslers into 1/2" at 2990fps?? Wink

BTW, it has a 10" twist. Smiler

OK, OK, so I'll get a 260 instead of the 6.5x47. dancing stir

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I came across this:

http://demigodllc.com/articles...7-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
This another of those .308/30-06 silly debates. The 257 Roberts is a great deer cartridge. (IMHO)

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6,5x47 Lapua is ridiculous. It does nothing the good old Norwegian-Swedish 6,5x55 does better, except fitting inside a short action. Just another reason to like the Blaser R93 witch has a bolt-travel adjusted to the length of the 6,5x55.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Catblewboy is still a friggin idiot I see, not that I expected anything different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Elk over 325". I mean that scored over 325 points. Never took a shot at anything bigger than a coyote over 300 yards. Anything Ned Roberts round won't do I reach for my 7STW.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote