New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Project - What bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought this old Savage 99 in .250 savage. It was a 22 Hi Power that had been converted to .250. So . . . I measured the twist at 1:13". Which one of the modern, premium bullets will this stabilize in this twist?

I want to take this to Canada because it is a takedown model and will be easier to pack. I am thinking 150 lb wolves - I read there was no limit in Alberta.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesPersonally with the modesst velocity of the 250-3000 a premium bullet doesn't seem to be called for on thin skined animals such as wolf. The 90gr. HPBT Game king from Sierra might just be the ticket.If you can find any of the 25-35 ,87gr. FPs that would seem to be another good option. waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on the 87 grain Speer HotCore as my deer bullet of choice in 1 in 14" twist 250-3000s. An added benefit, at least for me, is that the 87 grain Speer TNT shoots to the same approximate POA in the rifles that I have tried it in, so you have a fragile varmint bullet available if you want to shoot coyotes and chucks.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 to 260rg, My 1-14 twist M99 likes the 87 grain Speer Hotcore and it does an excellent job on whitetail. I haven't found any of the 100's that would shoot to my liking in this slow twist barrel. Most of the premiums are long for the weight, they would be even harder to get to stabilize. In the Nosler #5 manual, they state that NONE of they're bullets would stabilize in a 1-14 barrel. I you could find some of the older 100 grain roundnose bullets, you would have a better chance.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice - saves a lot of time & money fooling around with the wrong bullets. I will try the Speer Hotcore first. I used them in a different caliber and they worked well.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I found the 87 grain Speers, I used the 90 grain Sierra BTHP for over 20 years. I stopped using the Sierras after having a couple of bullet failures. The Speers have worked really well for deer. If you build a varmints only load, the 75 grain VMax and 75 grain Sierra BTHP are both great choices.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote