THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06 OR .270 WIN FOR 6.5.-06 IMP BRASS

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 OR .270 WIN FOR 6.5.-06 IMP BRASS
 Login/Join

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I have been using 25-06 brass to form for my 6.5-06 AI.I see others using .270 for the same cartridge.What is the advantage of using .270 brass,instead of the 25-06?
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you like trimming brass (I don't) I'd use the 25/06 case, which are 2.494" in length, the same as the 6.5/06. 270 cases are 2.540".
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The advantage to the .270 case is that you can size down just enough of the neck to get a perfect fit to your chamber. This is important only if your chamber is a little long to support the case for fireforming.

If you are curious, you can strip your bolt and chamber a .25-06 case you have necked up but not yet fireformed. If you can feel resistance as the bolt closes, you are good to go. If you can't, .270 cases are the way to go.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use 270 brass. Yes, you have to trim, but I had several 25-06 case necks split during sizing and I use inperial sizing wax. I would rather trim to the appropriate length rather than have the 25-06 neck split or shorten significantly during fire forming. With 270 brass I can get away with leaving it a little longer after trimming so the shortening during forming is not as noticable.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Nosler reloading manual(Number four), Charles Benke makes a case for the 6.5/270, chambering a bit longer to allow the use of .270 brass and the slightly (.050) shorter 30/06 brass. Plus, the 6.5/270 has been standardized in europe as the 6.5x64 Brenneke. I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but remembered something I read...Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
In fire forming cases for an improved chamber you are always better to neck down a larger bore (.270) to a smaller bore (6.5). Leftoverdj has it correct. Partially size the .270 so you can just feel a bit of resistance when you close the bolt.

All headspace problems and possible case separations will then be avoided. Trimming is no big deal. Necking up or down always changes the overall length of the case anyway...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get some 6.5-06 brass and be done with it. Simple is better.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
redleg172:

I've never heard of commercial 6.5-06 brass. The 6.5-06 is a wildcat...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it was SAAMI standardized by A-Square when they did the 338-06, the 6.5-06 A-Square. They have some brass available, but I don't know the price. They sent me a couple pieces when I bought my 338-06 from them since I was curious and spending a lot of money with them. The brass seems to be of good quality and has a 6.5-06 headstamp. I will use it when I rebarrel a 30-06 later this year. Contact A-Square @ (812)283-0577 for more info, prices, and availability.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote