THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5x55 in a new rifle Tikka? or a CZ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 in a new rifle Tikka? or a CZ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
I am going to buy a 6.5x55 in the next few days. I had hoped that Ruger would chamber this round in the new Hawkeye line or maybe the Ruger Ultra Lite, which would be perfection for me...but Ruger has apprently dropped their 6.5's as the MK II's Standard Grade and Allweather's are being discontinued and the Hawkeye is not shown with one, or a 260 either, on it's caliber list as shown on the Ruger website.
So? the question is Tikka or CZ? I like the Tikka's trigger and some of the other features. I have a WTHunter and really want a lighter rifle than the WTHunter or a CZ's 8lbs in an American. Pro's and con's on either? Am I missing any other brands that chamber a 6.5 Swede in a similar price?
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check the classifieds. I think there's a winchester M70 CRF (?) for sale there.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
I would be out shopping the auctions and classifieds but I need to order it thru this dealer I have a trade bait deal worked out with. He has already had and sold immediately 4-5 Hawkeyes and liked the improvements, but he busted my bubble when he got back from the SHOT Show in Orlando and sez "nope..no more 6.5x55 or 260's and when the MK II's are gone they are gone for good" according to what he was told in the Ruger booth.
Generally speaking the feedback I've gotten so far around the 'net is to go with a Tikka..but I told the dealer I would call him Tuesday with a decision and work out a schedule to get the first half of my stuff when he opened up after the weekend as he has my 1st trade gun already sold...and won't promise me a hard date for the rest of the 2 for 2 gun deal on a 375Ruger African as long I get it sometime this spring or even early summer.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Rugers in 6.5x55 and 260 are still out on the market, new, and it would be the cheapest way to go, but the Tikka's barrel quality is without question very good, and the trigger out of the box, and it is adjustable. I too went to the Ruger booth and was disappointed.

The money is worth the Tikka if you can accept the plastic bottom and the magazine. If you want a metal lower, then go with Ruger, they both will do a good job. CZ is very good from what I hear, Howa makes the stainless also in blue, but twist is 9, many like me want an 8. Steyr might be a light rifle, also Sako, Sauer, Blaser, and JAGD are in 6.5x55. Rem still makes some 260's.

If money is no issue and you want LIGHT, I'd suggest a Sako Finnlight 6.5x55 stainless or a Kimber in 260. You might check the weight on the Pro-Hunter Steyr, and the Tikka T3 I looked at is very light for a full sporter diameter barrel.

Let us know what you choose, and how it shoots!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Both are fine rifles, but if it were my money, I'd go with the Tikka because I don't have any experience with the CZ and a bunch with Sako and Tikka. Neither have ever disappointed me. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Both are fine rifles, but if it were my money, I'd go with the Tikka because I don't have any experience with the CZ and a bunch with Sako and Tikka. Neither have ever disappointed me. Lou

Unless wrong twist for bullet used, don't really recall many or any disappointed 6.5x55 users! They love them, I did, want another 6.5 myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
go mild custom around a 6.5 Swede. The rifles I have seen have immaculate bores, and shoot very well. You will love it, and confound all of your friends.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to CZs. I have a fullstock version in 6.5x55 and love it. Just a wee bit heavy though.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the cz's !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more for the CZ.

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think the CZ's are the roughest rifle out of the box. They will clean up to be a pretty nice gun, though.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you need to handle both rifles and go with your gut feeling.

I agree with BlackHawk1 on the CZ's.
quote:
Just a wee bit heavy though.

and you stated:
quote:
really want a lighter rifle

I personally don't think that the CZ weight is a bad thing, unless one of your top priorities is a lightweight rifle.

I own a few CZ's and have been fairly impressed with their shooting ability. Every CZ I own/owned shoots fantastic.
Some examples:
1. CZ varmint in 17 HMR that will shoot 1 MOA all day with factory ammo.
2. Cz 550 Safari in 375 H&H that shot anything I put through it into 2 MOA. My handloads were solid 1 MOA.
3. CS 550 FS in 270 Win that shoots 3/8 inch groups repeatedly. With factory ammo!
4. Another CZ 550 American in 270 Win that was a solid performer, until I changed the barrel out to a 338-06 and haven't had time to shoot yet.
5. I currently own CZ 550 safari in 416 Rigby that I haven't put on paper yet... but I will as soon as I get it back from the gunsmith.

I think Cz's are the best rifle out there for the money right now. To quote Consumer reports, I feel they are a "best buy". They are very functional right out of the box and if you so desire they can be cleaned up into a very nice rifle.

I don't have any experience with Tikka's except handling them in the gunshops. I personally don't like the feel, but it's your impression that counts.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a CZ, Tikka is just junk!

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find a Model 7 in .260. I saw a ruger 77 MK 2 in 6.5 swede at a gun show in portland. If you are anywhere near here, Keiths guns and ammo...tj3006

freedom1st

posted Hide Post
Get yourself a tikka. I have a 6.5x55 lite stainless synthetic .it shoots any factory ammo I have tried;
Lapua 108 gr hp,
Norma 120 bst,
federal 140gr sp,
lapua 156 sp,
All 0.5 inch grps or better. I agree the finish is poor, but do you want to look at it or shot it? I would be surprised if the others shoot as well.If you want a nice looker then check out the sako range you may even be able to pick up one of the old 75 series lots more stock and barrel weight options, than their the new 85 series.
happy shopping.

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the insight. I've called the dealer and asked him to find me a Tikka either in the wood/blue Hunter or SS/syn. I'll give him a week or so and then reassess the options. I have had a Tikka WTHunter 270 for 5-6 years now and been completely satisfied, and had just picked up a T3 SS/syn 270 before Christmas and may just download it but the 6.5x55 T3 Hunter, or CZ FS either one would be a nice addition. Don't really have any interest in a Ruger MK II 6.5 or 260, prolly would have considered a Ruger Hawkeye and really thought the Ruger Ruger Ultra Light was the perfect compromise, but the CZ Fullstock might be something to look at too.
The whole big deal for me getting into a light weight 6.5x55 in the first place was to find a super soft shooter for the coming year to rehab a beat up shoulder with. When the doc's got into it early last Septemeber they thought I would have a two-three week recovery time ...until they got me opened up and had to chase the slimey chit's roots from my hairline to my spine to my shoulder blade from just below my right ear to take out a very large softball sized tumor that had exploded in size in the last year or so. They either cut or badly damaged a bunch of nerves getting the mass and "roots" out in one piece as to not leave any spots for future growth sites. I am 5 months out of surgery and still 3-5+ months from being able to pull a trigger so I got plenty of time. The good news about the tumor is they got it all and it was not cancerous even though it has cost me dearly in more ways than just loosing a hunting season. It'll be nice to go back to work this month.
Ron

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery sir.

I was wondering if it would be better/possible to switch shoulders....if need be to save that shoulder, or are both hurting.

It can be an option if only one is hurting to train with an airgun, 22's etc and swap sides. It would feel awkward, but can be an option for some. Article years ago about a man who had bad vision in dominant eye, so he 're-trained' himself with a pellet rifle to shoot on his weak side. Just a thought, good luck. Don't discount the Ruger's they will shoot, ask Seafire about his.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the CZ. I have three CZ'z and all three are extremely accurate. Even my 550 Full Stock in 6.5x55 will shoot sub MOA.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger is still listing the 6.5 x 55 in the 77 Mark 2 for 2007, and is listing the 260 in both the 77 Mk 2 Models....

My biggest concern in getting a 6.5 bore rifle is to make sure it has a one in 8 twist to it.. instead of the Americanized one in 9...

one in 8 will stabilize bullets greater than 129 grains, like the 140s...

the longer heavier bullets is where the 6.5 x 55 gained its reputation on...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you very rarely hear a bad word spoken about CZ.
Tikka you get more mixed responses; most mourn the day tikka changed from 595/695 to T3's.
CZ usually have some attractive woodwork too boot.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
6.5BR, Yes the obvious answer would be to switch shoulders ...except that I effectively took that option off the table in 2000 when I managed to do another one of my all time dumb stunts and pried loose a piece of spring steel that penetrated my left eye deeply enough to rip out most of my iris, penetrate the capsule & lense and rip out the mount for the muscle that the capsule is connected to and totally destroy my cornea. 2000 was not a fun year. After the replacment surgeries for all the above, all the work went well and better than expected when I had 20x40 vision the day they unpacked my eye a wekk after the last surgery and even before the donor cornea had "settled" and had had none of the expected "adjustments" with the permanent stitches... until I developed an allergic reaction to the medicine and "burned" the surface of my skin that was growing over the donor cornea as planned. I am legally blind in that left eye right now...but...

The good news is there is finally some potential to manually "peel" the burned tissues off my cornea later this year. My doc's have already started the process with zapping the trash build up off the back of the lense implant 3 weeks ago, increased my vision with the one round of 25-30 hits from the lazer from 5-600+x20 to about 300x20 on an eye chart but still with the blurry crap remaining from the burned surface ...and we'll find out more as they proceed with great caution jacking around with the donor corneas's surface.

So Yes I am really "looking" forward to being able to shoot left handed once again as well as I ever could LOLOL!..and shooting left handed could be a serious option if need be eventually...but only if I can get over the original issue of pure fact that God only gave me a left arm to wear a watch with ...and for balance.

If the Tikka does not seem doable for a lack of availability ...then the CZ FS 6.5x55 is the next critter up for consideration. Just can not get my mind around a Ruger Mk II right now...maybe later ..."we'll see said the blind man" was an old saying of mine that has borne bitter fruit but I've made a good life despite the Issues that keep trying to limit me...I just ain't thru yet so I'll figure out how to Get 'er Done one way or the other yet.
Ron

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Something obviously bugs you about Ruger, just curious what it is, those who criticize the plastic tikka bottom end should prefer Ruger, or CZ. Nothing against CZ, barrels seem slick and nothing ever bad heard, but I do like the Sako barrel on the Tikka, and the out of the box crisp light trigger, and the action is very slick.

They shoot well from all counts. Posted a link the other day, a 4.4" group at 1000 yds with Tikka Continental, oh, 10 shots....factory rifle in 6.5x55.

I wish you the best in your health.....hoping everything improves so you can get your quality of life back soon. Keep us posted, don't think you will do wrong whichever way you go. Also, Seafire may can offer some 'lite loads' if that will help you, depending on distance reduced loads can be very effective, and let you get back into the game sooner.

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Back when I was shooting a lot, and was in the gun bidnizz as a distrb and later a factory rep, I must have run thru maybe a dozen 77's in various calibers. Got soured on the inevitablity of the needed tuning to make one shoot fair to decently. I understand that was then and this is now ...and called a Hawkeye, but 77's just don't excite me the way other stuff does sometimes. I have done the plant tour in Rihimaaki and believe in the Tikka's barrels, and my WTHunter is a solid out of the box shooter that reminds me of the SAKO contours I had sold for 6 years in L61R's and AV's. So I'll put up with the T3's plastic until it begins to fall apart...and by then we'll prolly be shootin' non metallic projectiles anyway if I am still above ground.
No flys on the CZ's except weight for my current state of grace...with CZ's you really do get what you pay for which appeals to my Texas/Tennessee Scots heritage...and why a CZ Full Stock of some flavor will reside here some day soon.
Ron

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I can understand, but can tell you having 2 recent mfg 243's and 25-06 in Ruger #1, ALL sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo, these were I believe ALL made under new Ruger barrel mfg. I had an older 270 that I believe was pre-Ruger mfg barrels it too a 1B like the 270, but it did 1-1.5" at best with bedded forearm and handloads.

The 243's were 1a and Mannlicher, lighter contours but shorter as well-hence stiffer.

You won't be disappointed in the CZ or Tikka, the Full stock you mention looks like a great value. Esp. compared to this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976749425.aspx

THAT is one sweet rifle.....if you have the dough!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Tikka T3 , and 2 Cz rimfires.

Could not be happier with either.

Have Tikka T3 Varmint 6.5x55 Varmint, which is too heavy for what you need. Accuracy , out of the box is all you will need. Same applies to Tikka Hutner in .223

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote