THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    bolt action rifle 223 rem with 1:9 barrell??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt action rifle 223 rem with 1:9 barrell??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
catalogs seldom show twist rate; is there a bolt action 223 rem. with a 1:9 twist barrel for $500 or less, that is reasonably accurate, with some quality? what about H@R varment single shot?

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
saline...

The Savage 10FP or 12BVSS or 12FVSS fit that criteria...you just missed a used 10FP (probably the cheapest of the three) in the Classified forum. Comes with a great trigger from the factory...

http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
saline...

Just checked the Classifieds again, and there is a CZ 527 .223 laminate for sale...that fits your budget, and should be a great gun.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had considered buying a savage 12fv in .223. When I went to the gun dealer to order my savage, I saw a cz527 varmint laminate in .223 on the rack. Although they are about $100 more than a savage, I had to get it So I got the cz instead of the savage and I haven't regretted it yet. The cz527 varmint .223's are 1:9 twist, the other cz527 .223's however are 1:12 I believe. I don't think the cz's are overly expensive as other rifles I've seen, and they shoot outstanding groups out of the box. I do own a savage 12fv in .243, but the cz is still my favorite rifle

Posts: 7 | Location: Va | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
The CZ is a great piece at a great price. Little rough to start, but a little work on mag lips and about a 100 shots will smooth it all out. And you'll be well ahead of the "fancy" rifles. Plus you get that singe set trigger. Marvelous feature. Accuracy is excellent.. And it's not super heavy, so you could walk with it if you wanted.

I suggest trying to play with a CZ and a Savage if you can. Chances are someone at the range has something you can try.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks eveyone; the cz varment appears to be the best choice, i had looked at the savage 110fp, i want a rifle that i can walk around with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How heavy are the CZ 527 Varmint with laminated stock? Compared to the Savage 10 FP with synthetic stock? If you get the regular 527 Lux or American, you will be getting a 1 in 12" barrel, I believe. (At least mine is.) I like my "non-Varmint model" CZ 527 in .223, and shoot mainly 50 gr TNTs or 40 gr V-Maxs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cz's are much lighter, I believe they at 8 pounds. A nice compromise between a bench gun and a walking gun.
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Savage 110fp, CZ Varmint with HS stock with a 1 in 9 twist and a CZ Lux with a 1-12. One of the most accurate loads for all three is a 55 grain Nosler BT in win casesm a Remington 7 1/2 primer with 26 grains of W748 powder. All three will group under .6" at 100 yards. This is also an accurate load in a RRA Varminter with 1 in 8 twist. The faster twists also do very well with 69 grain MK loads. Oddly the Savage will shoot the 77g Nosler and MK bullets but the CZ Varminter will not. Oh yea these are all 223s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks dundee for the info; am looking at a vanguard in .223 but can't find out what the twist rate is, it looks to be what i am wanting, at least i like the way it looks and feels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SAline
I am not familure with the Vangard. However, if you are looking for a walk around rifle the CZ Varminter is the lightest of the heavy barrels. I also own a CZ Lux in 223. For three shot groups it is as accurate as the varminter. If your shooting is slow enough to not heat up the barrel it is an excellent choice. (yea I know I got carried away with the 223. I also have a mini 14 and a model 70 in that caliber).