THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New Roberts is a fine shooter !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Roberts is a fine shooter !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up my new Custom Roberts today !
I am real happy with my 1st shooting session.
Keep in mind these loads were loaded with out the benefit of this rifle being present, to check load length.
The 1st load I shot was a 110 grain accubond over 40.5 grains of IMR-4350. I fired four shots, abd 3 grouped into half and inch on the top edge of the target while the 4th was just off the paper but not opening the group much at all, I would say 4 int about .75".
All the other loads I shot were 100 grain bullets either Hornady flatt bse or Sierra Boat tails. IMR-4064 and Win -760. And while none of these loads were great all were prety good. Worst group was 1.50 and the best was 1.05.
I was shooting of the hood of my truck at 97 yards. Just for fun I fired the last 3 rounds off handed with no sling and all were on the paper, and 1 was right in the middle.
If any of you guys want a picture, I am about to clean the rifle and take a pic. I will Email it to you and would thank you for posting one. I am a heck of a truck truck driver but a poor computer guy...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah the new rifle. It is a great feeling isn't it. It gets even better when you shoot it and are happy with the results. Fear not, you will me able to fine tune it and get it down to where you want it.
Congrads.
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
Congrats, still haven't retrieved my "new" 1947 Winchester M70 from my brother's posession yet. I just can't find the time to make the 2000 mile trip yet, and I don't want him to ship it. Let us know how your's turns out. Love to hear about lighter bullets.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Practically all the AccuBond loads I have developed in the last couple of years have shot sub-1" groups. They are very accurate bullets, and well suited to medium caliber speeds. A perfect choice for the Bob!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had prety good luck with 7mm acubonds in 2 rifles , but I could not get the 110 grainers to shoot in either of My custom 25,06 or my other Roberts.
But I am real glad to have had them do so well in my new Roberts.
I loaded a dozen of of them with 41 grains of IMR 4350 and I will shoot 3, 3shot groups and then Chrony the rest, this weekend.
I have a bunch of loads with IMR-4350 ready to go with 100 grain tripple shocks the 110 a-bond, 115 grain Balistic tips and 117 grain sierra and SSTs from hornady.
I think I should be able to get that accubond up to 2900 or mabye a bit better, and if I can and they still group, I will consider that a strong contender for Mule deer.
I also want to try the 115 grain tripple shock just cause I think it would be about as strong a killer for the Roberts as you could find, I would love to try that bullet from a Roberts on a caribu hunt. But I would probably take my 270 instead...tj3006

freedom1st