Notify
Tools

weatherby ultralightweight?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Any thoughts on these rifles?

I have been looking at two of these. Both are used in great shape.

One is a 240 wby mag with a pentax 3x9 lightseeker

the other is a 257 wby mag with a 3x10 weaver grand slam

They are $825 each. I have thought about getting them both.

My plan was to get a 270 ruger lightweight with a compact leupold for sheep hunting and a 308 in ?rifle? with a leupold vx-11 3x9 for target shooting. But for the same price I could have the WBYs.

I reload so the caliber choices are fine with me.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are fine rifles in my opinion and the price looks great.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Assuming they are is good shape and include said optics, both are very good prices. Both of those scopes are pretty good quality glass.

I've heard (so take it with a grain of salt) that these rifle can be quite fussing about the tightness of the action screws...

I'd blow of the Ruger in a heartbeat and get one of, or both of these. The 257 WM with a 120 Partition would be a fearsome sheep rifle... thumb

One of Us
Picture of coyotewallace
posted Hide Post
get the 257 over the 240 any day..

<9.3x62>
posted
Yes, if you are to buy only one, get the 257 for sure...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both would be great hunting rifles, but i would take the .257. With a 120 grain partition or a 115 grain tripple shock you could go for anything up thru caribu and probably an elk in a pinch. A word of caution in either case. With the skinny tube, flutted or not you will heat up awfully quick, so be prepared to take a lot of time beetween shots. or plan on a new barrel in a few years. I would love one in .270 weatherby ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would surely jump on the 257. At that price it would just be hard to pass up. They are excellent rifles.

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I did get them both. I plan on getting a leupold compact to put on the 240 and will most likely make it my sheep rifle.

I plan on hunting with 85 TSX in the 240 and 100 TSX in the 257.

For fun shooting I got some .243 100 grain and .257 120 grain Hornadys that I plan on loading around 3000 F.P.S. for each rifle.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Good move, I doubt you'll regret it. Moreover, you can easily re-sell either for what you paid for it should you be so inclined at some future point...