New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm powder help
 Login/Join

posted
i have 2 new 6mm rem. 1 stock vls 7oo the other
is a 25 year old 700adl i had rebarreled sporter conture 1 /10 twist i added a bedded thumbhole stock also all accurizing work was done to action i am about 30 rounds into break in on both barrels with imr 4350 87 grain hornady bullets i had left over i am getting 1 inch at best at 100 yds. i plan to use 85 grain bthp sierra for hunting if possible. i was wondering if i should try an RL powder such as 19/ 22/ or 24 what do you guys reccomend? IT COULD BE THE SHOOTER both guns have decent triggers thanks termite 22

One of Us
posted Hide Post
termite.

I just tested the 6mm Rem with 15 different powders with a whole bunch of differnt bullet weights...

Only a few gave less accuracy than minute of prairie dog... so anything bigger is easily handable...

The last powder I tried, number 15 turned out to be H 414....All I got were one hole groups with several different bullet weights and H 414....

Needless to say that rifle is going to digest a lot of H 414 in the life span of this Pac Nor barrel on it....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, as much as I hate to disagree with seafire, I would not even try H 414.

I really do not like that powder. In my experience it has been very dirty burning, hard to clean out of a barrel and shows lot to lot variations that are plain scary.

I have a buddy who uses H 414 in his 6mm and it takes him forever to clean his barrel. I have seen some horrible lot to lot variations on the chronograph with H 414.

I prefer to use either H 4350 or IMR 4831 for my 6mm Remington loads. (Actually, it will always be the .244 Remingon to me.)

I tried RL 22 in my latest 6mm Remington and it shot pretty good. However, it heated the barrel up quite a lot more than IMR 4831. This is NOT a good thing in a prairie dog town. Reloader 22 is a very good powder, but barrel heating is not a good thing in a varmint gun.

And, if you want a good hunting bullet for the 6mm Remington do not overlook the 90 grain Speer Hot Core. I have killed some dandy deer with that bullet.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL19 and IMR 4831 are both very good in my 6mm Rem. with the 85 to 87 gr bullets. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
48.0-50.0 grains of Reloader 19 ought to work pretty decently. It does in a few 6mm's I know of using the 87 grain Hornady VMaxs! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Many thanks from northeast Georgia
a 6mm rem or souped up 243 as i call it some times when i am asked what is a 6mm by people
who arent familiar with the caliber, will always have a home in my house.
THANKS TERMITE22

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Termite22, I just shot the 87HPBT yesterday with 47.5grs. RE19, 4 shots went 9/16ths, flier to the left opened it up to 7/8ths, week before got almost the same exact size group with Win. brass and 210M primers, yesterday was with Rem. brass and primers. Tried some workup loads with RE22, and just shooting 2 shot groups(checking for pressure mainly)the best 2 shots went was 3/4". The first 2 shots with the RE19 were about touching, so decided to go with RE19 instead of buying a pound of RE22.
When I shot my 6mm for the first 100 times with 85HPBTs, got nothing but 3/4" groups with 44-45grs. IMR4350, but that powders sucks going through a powder measure, I'd try 47.5grs. RE19 with Remington primers and brass. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With bullets of 85grs. or less my Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. seems to group best with IMR4895 while the heavier 100gr bullets prefer IMR4831 and Rel-19. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyesfor a lot of cheap but accurate shooting you might invest in 8# of WCC846. It is somewhat dirty though. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
My best groups came with a Hornady 87 SP and H4831. 1.5" three shot group at 300 yds.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had splendid luck with original surplus 4831 in a Rem 722 .244 (65 to 85 grain bullets). The burning rate of old 4831 would be right in between current H4831 and IMR 7828. Hodgdon is now offering both of these in the short cut version. If I were starting from scratch, I would try one of these.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by termite22:
i have 2 new 6mm rem. 1 stock vls 7oo the other
is a 25 year old 700adl i had rebarreled sporter conture 1 /10 twist i added a bedded thumbhole stock also all accurizing work was done to action i am about 30 rounds into break in on both barrels with imr 4350 87 grain hornady bullets i had left over i am getting 1 inch at best at 100 yds. i plan to use 85 grain bthp sierra for hunting if possible. i was wondering if i should try an RL powder such as 19/ 22/ or 24 what do you guys reccomend? IT COULD BE THE SHOOTER both guns have decent triggers thanks termite 22

Back before I completely lost interest in the 6mm and 243, I shot them quite a bit. Across a number of rifles I had the best consistent accuracy from AA3100 with both 85 and 100 grain bullets. Good velocities too.

Also, I too have had difficulties with H414. Quite a bit of variation in velocities. I've have never had good luck with this powder in anything under 8mm. It has given exceptional accuracy in my 9.3x62s and Whelens, but I can't seem to get top velocities to pair with the nice accuracy. Varget and Re15 have taken over this duty... Anyway, I no longer use this powder at all. Just my experience...