Find
Notify
Tools

etronx 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted
I was thinking I could sell this and a few others to build a custom.......had less than 30 rounds thru it before today. I went to the range to shoot some factory fodder for some empties and voila! I hope my reloads do this well.

this is a 5 shot group. factory 50 gr vmax

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIght, Sure you are going to sell it. Really nice tight group for factory ammo. Hell, It would be a really nice group for hand loads as well.
Looks like you got a winner there.
So, What do you want for it?
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lofter:
I hope my reloads do this well.

Well I hope you can find a good supply of primers to make those reloads.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OF COURSE the only reason I would be interested in it is that I have a large supply of .250 savage brass and 22-250 brass (that I neck up) so I would not have to buy brass. That is of course the only reason I would be interested you see. I will give you $200.00 for it since you Are going to sell it anyway.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
quote:

Primers are available, just $100 per 1000.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
quote:

$100.00 a thousand. Man I got some primers for you and I will give you a big discount.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Primers are available, just $100 per 1000.[/QUOTE]

Only a $100 and for how long on a gun that is out of production?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There was a new production run in 2005 and another scheduled for 2007. Very limited but I guess there is enough market to produce some periodically. I bough one to rebarrel to 458 SOCOM and fit a supressor (rebarrel done, supressor waiting for Santa). The quietest rifle on earth when complete but other than some obscure desire like that, I don't what they're good for.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winggunner:
quote:
quote:
quote:

$100.00 a thousand. Man I got some primers for you and I will give you a big discount.

Maybe they've come down since I last bought some but the very first I bought 4-5 years ago were mor than that. What's the going price?

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I got the rifle NIB a yr or so ago. It came with 200 factory rounds and 1500 primers. I have other guns in this class to shoot. The only reason I haven't gotten to do some serious testing. I have less than 80 rounds thru it and if I decided to sell I wouldn't give it away.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lofter: I guess its been established that you won't give it away and you won't sell it for $200.00?
My advice to you is to keep that Rifle and never sell it!
Factory Rifles in caliber 22-250 that shoot in the 3's - 4's should not even be considered for sale!
Having said that - are you offering the Rifle for sale?
If so - how much?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
VG....I knew you'd come snopping around sooner or later clap I have a box of berger 55's that I wanna try. I figured this would be a 1 inch gun but it's coming around in a hurry. Right at this moment I won't sell but if I decide to let it walk I'll let you know....how's that? BTW the berger 35's in the cooper 204 are looking fantastic at your recommendation @28 gr H4895. I only loaded 15 of them tried in my cz first so-so..then went .213 and followed by a .196 in the coop. I'm home!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lofter,
I hope that you realize that my offer for $200.00 WAS A JOKE. You would be out of your mind to sell it for that as I well know. Varmitguy is right. You ought to keep it. Again, I was joking. I don't need a .22 cal. fifle as the .250 does everything I need done and is very accurate on top of that.
Thanks again and good luck with the handloads.
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOY DO I FEEL DUMB AND I GUESS I AM.
I could not remember ever hearing about a Etronx rifle or action so I punched that into the box and got you know what. MY APOLOGY TO ALL. Did I memtion that I have been out of the loop for a while. Probablty a long while. So I guess this is a rifle before its time or what.
Again, SORRY GUYS

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the EtronX was the answer to a question never asked. I think I have read in places that Remington thought the speed-of-light lock time and lack of bolt misalignment due to firing spring pressure would make it the darling of the benchrest crowd. But it is still a factory action made to factory tolerances and the BR guys stayed away in droves.

The high-dollar ammo/primers make it a specialty item and dead batteries at the most inapproporate time make it unreliable for many hunting applications. Changing batteries is a PIA, too. They should have made that more convenient.

Having said all that, it works pretty cool when you have it set up right. I bought mine as a toy to see if I could build the world's quietest high power rifle. There is absolutely no action noise upon firing; no click in the trigger mechanism, no firing pin fall, nothing. So with a high quality supressor, it will have a totally unique signature that should confound coyotes and other vermin (can't hunt big game in TX with a suppressor).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, the EtronX was the answer to a question never asked. I think I have read in places that Remington thought the speed-of-light lock time and lack of bolt misalignment due to firing spring pressure would make it the darling of the benchrest crowd. But it is still a factory action made to factory tolerances and the BR guys stayed away in droves.

The high-dollar ammo/primers make it a specialty item and dead batteries at the most inapproporate time make it unreliable for many hunting applications. Changing batteries is a PIA, too. They should have made that more convenient.

Having said all that, it works pretty cool when you have it set up right. I bought mine as a toy to see if I could build the world's quietest high power rifle. There is absolutely no action noise upon firing; no click in the trigger mechanism, no firing pin fall, nothing. So with a high quality supressor, it will have a totally unique signature that should confound coyotes and other vermin (can't hunt big game in TX with a suppressor).

What does FWIW mean?

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
geek-talk; shorthand "for what it's worth". PIA is "pain in the ass", OTOH is "on the other hand" and so forth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something like Ahhhhhh Soul?
I think I have it.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
No need to apoligize. We have all kinds of jokesters around here. As far as the action goes it is like glass. I think cost as well as the confusion over the technology had as much to do why the idea died. However i'm not sorry I made the move to buy this gun. BTW trigger pull is also user friendly but you need to remove the action from the stock. 2 machine screws hold the recoil pad under which lies the battery. I have a charger for rechargable 9 volts so battery life is not a problem. But I do agree they could have made this an easier operation. I have recently seen this model at some gunshops so they are still around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lofter: You are "da'man"!
Nice shooting with the Cooper in 204 Ruger caliber!
Wow on those groups!
I will repeat here - I think the 204 Ruger is a splendid and inherently VERY accurate cartridge!
By the way those 35 gr. Bergers are very lethal on Varmints of several types, as I used them for a time in all my 204's.
I have had some trouble obtaining them in the past several months so I am switching my 204's over to the Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKings. They are everywhere.
I am glad ONE of my recommendations worked out for you!
Again if I were you I would keep that Etronix Remington! Shooting like it does.
I always kind of wanted to try one of those electronic triggered Remingtons. Its kind of a shame that it did not catch on with the shooting public. But you have to give the Remington folks an "atta boy" for trying something new and something that obviously worked well for you.
Jay Johnsons warning (if it was a warning - maybe it was a statement of fact or incredulity?) should probably be heeded. If in fact you do want to sell it in the future an additional hoarde of those electronic primers with the Rifle would sure boost its "sellability"!
Again congrats on the great shooting with both the Cooper and the electric Remington!
Oh by the way I have recently shot some SENSATIONAL groups with the Berger 52 gr. bullets out of my new Remington XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington! Be sure to try them in your 22-250, if you are at all interested in a 52 grain bullet! Good luck with the Berger 55's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
When the price came down to around $500 for the rifle, I deceided to give one of them a try...

I'll never regret it. Essentually a VSSF for $500.00? If I keep the firing pin clean nothing ever seems to go wrong with it.

I had it rechambered to 22-250AI, I've never looked back. Shoot around .25's with 52gr. A-Max, just slightly larger with most of the 55gr. Hornadays and Sierras. And if I want to really pump a little one out there, the little 40gr Nosler at 4400fps fits the bill.

Come on fellows, primers can be found with a 5 sec. search on the net.. And if you can't afford $2.00 a box for ammunition, stay out of the field.

I've talked to Remington about the "strenght" of the Etronx primer. I wanted to know if it was capable of igniting any charge, from, any short action caliber. It is. So if I wanted to rechamber or re-barrel, no problem. I suppose I could even buy an aftermarket trigger, and new bolt, disconect the electric switch if I wanted to, but who wants to.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250: If I could find an Etronx Remington 700 for $500.00 (new) I would buy it in a heart beat!
OK then, please tell me how much the electronic primers do cost.
Glad you are having so much success (accuracy) with your Remington!
Keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I just did a 5 second search and found the Etronx primers available in quantities of 1,000 or 5,000 at $109.00 per 1,000 ($108.00 per 1,000 if you buy 5,000 at a time).
The same source was selling Remington standard primers for $15.00 per 1,000. Or 10.8 cents apiece for the Etronx and 1.5 cents each for the standard 9 1/2 primers!
Pricey but not prohibitive.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Try Gunbroker, I see them still NIB for about $550 in all three cal. 22-250, 220 Swift and the .243win.

I bought 1000 primers about 2 months ago. I'm trying to remember who from, I'll look back at my receipts to check for sure. They were $105.00/1000. Which works out to $2.00/box of 20rnds. Thats more that reloaders usually pay, but far short of what someone who doesn't reloads pays for their ammo.

I just checked on Gunbroker, There is a NIB 220 Swift for $659 (buy it now). I'm surprised to see them going back up, maybe I've made a good investment after all.

I think I have some pics of targets, I'll try and post them to "hunt101" and add them to this post.

Thanks, Mike

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250: And thank you for that additional information (source).
I think both you guys have "winner" Rifles there!
I would love to test one out for myself and give that "speed of light" triggering mechanism a try!
I wonder if that "instant" trigger and its attributes have contributed to the great accuracy you guys have obtained.
I have talked to 4 or 5 other Varminters who have these Etronx Rifles and they also were quite happy with the accuracy they had obtained.
Again I think its a good idea that may catch on at some time in the future if its ever offered again?
I just think it was such a bold step or departure from what we all are used to and comfortable with that most did not wish to take that big of a step (departure).
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy -- Remington blew this rifle. First, you can't put a new rifle on the market for $2000, the original price and then not stand behind them. They should have subsidized the primers. Held some matchs, etc. They might have made a go of it.

Also there are some idiosycrasies and differences from a regular rifle. First, It's got a key, yes a key. I'm use to picking up a rifle and taking the safety off and pulling the trigger. If you leave the trigger on to long, the rifle shuts off. You need to learn to watch that, It isn't to much a problem shooting off a bench for varmints. Second, the Trigger needs some getting use to. It's simply a microswitch. Only a very quiet "click" to let you know when it's been pulled. It is adustable of weight but nothing else. Once you get used to it, it's great, just different. The batteries last a very long time, but take an extra and an extra key, they come with two. Just one other thing, keep the firing pin clean, not a big deal, at least for me.. Just unscrew the back, pull the pin out, wipe it off and return. Other than that it's just like any other rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250: Thanks for the tips and additional info!
I have some mad money and all I need is to find the time to get out and do some big Gunshows and get lucky enough to find one at a great price.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy